2010 Giants’ Schedule Announced: The Giants’ 2010 regular-season schedule was announced yesterday. The pre-season schedule was also finalized. Details are available in the Schedule section of the website.
“We have known the teams we were going to play, so we knew this would be a very challenging schedule and it is,” Head Coach Tom Coughlin said. “We have an opportunity to open at home in our brand new stadium, which is very exciting. We know how good the teams in the NFC East are. Minnesota was in the NFC Championship Game and Green Bay was a playoff team. We’re playing the AFC South this year and all the teams in that division are tough. Playing three of our last four on the road will be a big challenge.”
“The uniqueness of the schedule is that we will play six games before we play a divisional opponent,” Coughlin said. “I think the bye is in a very good place, after our seventh game. I like the fact that we do have an opportunity to regroup before heading out to Seattle, which is a long trip out and a long trip back. Then three of the next four are in the division.”
“The league dictated that there would be more divisional games at the end of the season and we can see that in our schedule, when we play Philadelphia and Washington in two out of the last three,” Coughlin said.
Some schedule notes:
- The Giants will play seven games against 2009 playoff teams: two each against Dallas and Philadelphia and one apiece vs. Minnesota, Green Bay, and Indianapolis .
- The Giants will play the Cowboys twice in three games.
- For the second year in a row, the Giants will play three Sunday night games. They were 1-2 in Sunday night games last season and are 14-18-1 on Sunday night.
- The Giants will again play only one Monday night game, on the road vs. the Cowboys. It will be the eighth consecutive Monday night game in which the Giants are the visiting team (including the 2005 game vs. New Orleans that was played in Giants Stadium). The Giants have not been the home team on a Monday night since Sept. 15, 2003. The Giants are 19-31-1 on Monday night.
- The Giants will host Carolina for the third year in a row and visit Minnesota for the third consecutive season.
BBI Online Live Tonight at 8PM: A special pre-draft edition of BigBlueInteractive.com’s (BBI’s) internet radio show dedicated exclusively to coverage of the New York Giants, BBI Online Live, will air Wednesday night. The show will stream live at 8:00PM EST, but will also be archived for listeners not able to hear it live.
Our guest will be Mike Garafolo, who covers the Giants for The Star-Ledger.
Co-hosts Eric and John will discuss the latest on the Giants. The show will be streamed live at Sports Talk Radio (BlogTalkRadio.com/STCP). Listeners can call in at (347) 826-7213 or send chat questions via the website.
BBI Draft Preview – Offense: BBI contributor Sy’56 of New Era Scouting has kindly provided to BBI a preview of the upcoming draft, entitled “The Offensive Approach to the Giants’ Draft.” This article is now available in The Draft section of the website.
Daily News – Giants Not Seeking to Trade Umenyiora: The Daily News is reporting that two unidentified league sources say the Giants are not “actively shopping” DE Osi Umenyiora in advance of the 2010 NFL Draft. The paper says two teams – the Rams and Panthers – are very interested in Umenyiora.
Jersey Number Changes: The following linebackers have changed their jersey numbers:
- Michael Boley – From #52 to #59
- Clint Sintim – From #97 to #52
- Gerris Wilkinson – From #59 to #58
Pre-Draft Articles on the Giants:
- Narrowing the Field by Paul Dottino of WFAN.com
- It’s Boom Or Bust For Pierre-Paul by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Despite Perceived Lack of Interest, New York Giants Make Sure They Have C.J. Spiller’s Cell Number by Ralph Vacchiano of The Daily News
DVD – Ten Greatest Games in Giants’ History: Warner Home Video has released “New York Giants – 10 Greatest Games.” You can order this collection in the BBI Store (Amazon.com).