Josh Brown – Photo by USA Today Sports Images
Giants Sign PK Josh Brown: The Giants announced yesterday that they signed unrestricted free agent PK Josh Brown (Cincinnati Bengals). The deal is reportedly a 1-year contract. The 33-year old Brown has played for three teams in 10 years in the NFL, mostly with the Seahawks and Rams.
“Josh is an experienced, proven kicker in this league,” said General Manager Jerry Reese. “Just like we try to do at every position, we expect great competition for the placekicking job, and that will only make us better.”
PK Lawrence Tynes is an unrestricted free agent. The signing of Brown likely signals the Giants believe Tynes is moving on to a new team or the team has decided to move in a new direction. The Giants also have kickers David Buehler and Jake Rogers currently on the roster.
A video of a Giants.com interview with Brown is available at Giants.com.
LB Jasper Brinkley and S Ryan Mundy Visit the Giants: According to press reports, unrestricted free agent LB Jasper Brinkley (Minnesota Vikings) visited the Giants yesterday. However, Brinkley left without a contract and will be visiting the Arizona Cardinals next.
S Ryan Mundy (Pittsburgh Steelers) reportedly arrived last night and will continue his visit with the Giants today.
Other Free Agent Rumblings: Here is some additional information on the free agent front:
- The Giants confirmed officially that they have re-signed HB Ryan Torain.
- The Star-Ledger is reporting that the Giants are one of several teams who have expressed interest in DE Dave Tollefson, who was just released by the Oakland Raiders.
- According to the father of LB Karlos Dansby, who was just released by the Miami Dolphins, the Giants are one of three teams in the mix for his services.
- USA Today is reporting that there is interest in unrestricted free agent S Kenny Phillips from other teams in the NFC East.
- The Giants were reported to be interested in unrestricted free agent DE/DT Jason Jones (Seattle Seahawks), but he has signed with the Detroit Lions.
- The Giants were reported to be interested in unrestricted free agent WR/Returner Josh Cribbs (Cleveland Browns), but he has signed with the Arizona Cardinals.
Giants Confirm Coaching Changes: The Giants officially announced three coaching changes yesterday:
- Lunda Wells is now the assistant offensive line coach. He had been the Giants’ offensive quality control coach last year.
- Ryan Roeder is now the team’s offensive assistant (what the team had called previously their offensive quality control coach). Roeder comes to the Giants from Princeton University.
- Robbie Leonard is the team’s defensive assistant (what the team had called previously their defensive quality control coach). Leonard comes to the Giants from North Carolina State.
For more on the backgrounds of these coaches, see the Coaching Staff section of the website.
DT Cullen Jenkins on The NFL Network: The video of yesterday’s NFL Network interview with DT Cullen Jenkins is available at Giants.com.
P Steve Weatherford on ESPN Radio: The audio of yesterday’s ESPN Radio interview with P Steve Weatherford is available at ESPN.com.