Waiting on Victor – Photo by USA Today Sports Images
BBI Draft Chat with Colin of GBNDR on Thursday: We will be hosting a draft chat session with Colin of the Great Blue North Draft Report Thursday at 2:00-3:30PM in The Corner Forum section of the website.
Giants Awarded One Compensatory Pick: The Giants were awarded one compensatory pick for their free agent losses from last offseason. The pick is a 7th round selection (#253 overall). The pick is the second-to-last in the entire draft.
Compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the selection of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on a player’s salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor.
Last offseason, the Giants signed TE Martellus Bennett, OT Sean Locklear, and DT Shaun Rogers. The team lost WR Mario Manningham, CB Aaron Ross, and DE Dave Tollefson. The Giants gained and lost the same number of players, but the NFL determined that the free agents they lost were more valuable than the ones they gained.
Contract Details for Recently Signed Free Agents: Though all the specifics are not available, here are some contract details on players recently re-signed or signed by the New York Giants:
- TE Brandon Myers: 4-year, $14.25 million contract including a $1.5 million signing bonus, but the last three years of the contract are voidable so the contract really is a 1-year, $2.25 million deal. Myers’ cap number for 2013 is $1.125 million.
- LB Dan Connor signed a 1-year deal with a base salary of $715,000.
- LB Keith Rivers signed a 1-year deal with a base salary of $715,000.
- S Ryan Mundy signed a 1-year deal with a base salary of $715,000.
For an overview of all of the Giants’ free agents and those signed, check out the 2013 Free Agent Scorecard.
Other Free Agent Rumblings: Here is some other news on the free agent front:
- According to USA Today, the Lions and Dolphins are reportedly interested in unrestricted free agent DE Osi Umenyiora.
- Unrestricted free agent WR Ramses Barden told The Daily News that re-signing with the Giants is still an option for him. It’s not clear if the Giants feel the same way.
- ESPN reported that the Giants were one of many teams interested in QB Matt Hasselbeck, who was released by the Tennessee Titans yesterday. But Hasselbeck is reportedly signing with the Indianapolis Colts.
- Unrestricted free agent LB Rey Maualuga (Cincinnati Bengals), who the Giants were rumored to have some interest in, has re-signed with the Bengals.
- USA Today is reporting that the deal S Kenny Phillips signed with the Eagles was a 1-year, $2 million contract with no guaranteed money or signing bonus.
Article on WR Victor Cruz: The Cruz Rules: A Look Inside the ‘Tender’ Options by Ralph Vacchiano of The Daily News
Quotes: General Manager Jerry Reese on WR Louis Murphy: “I think he’s gonna add another dimension to our offense. We have a scout named Jeremiah Davis and he talks about guys being a knife. This guy is a knife. This guy can take the top off your defense. He’s an interesting guy. He gives us a different dimension in out offense. If we have the same guys, if we have Nicks back healthy and we have Cruz back this guy gives you a deep threat that we haven’t had. We haven’t had a guy who can run like this guy.”
Reese on TE Brandon Myers: “Number one he knows how to play. He’s a professional football player. This guy has played quite a bit, caught 79 balls last year at Oakland so there’s not a lot of training, he’s quarterback friendly. He catches 80 balls and people really don’t know that much about him. We think he’ll be a great piece to our offense and I think (Eli Manning) will have a relationship with him really quickly.”
Giants’ President/CEO John Mara on what the Giants need to do to improve: “We need to re-establish that toughness (up) front. Teams ran the ball against us too easily last year. That’s an area of concern. And the offensive line, that performance needs to get a little better, too.”
Mara on DT Cullen Jenkins: “Our defensive line we feel like we have improved with Cullen, who all of our (personnel) people just loved. He’s been a terrific player and very durable. Actually, one of the biggest proponents to bring him was Chris Snee, who’s had to play against him. He said this guy is a heck of a player.”