Phase Two of New York Giants Offseason Workout Program Begins: Phase Two of the New York Giants offseason workout program begins today and will continue for the next three weeks. The offseason program is conducted in three phases:
- Phase One (April 21 – May 4): Consisted of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only.
- Phase Two (May 5 – May 26): Consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on a “separates” basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.
- Phase Three (see OTA dates below): Consists of the next four weeks of the program. The Giants may conduct a total of 10 days of OTA workouts. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.
Important New York Giants dates of note:
- May 28-30: Organized Team Activity (OTA) workouts.
- June 2-3: OTA workouts.
- June 5: OTA workout.
- June 9-10: OTA workouts.
- June 12-13: OTA workouts.
- June 17-19: Mandatory, full-team mini-camp.
Quarterbacks Eli Manning (arthroscopic ankle surgery) and Curtis Painter (arthroscopic knee surgery) are still out. However, Eli’s brother Peyton revealed on Sunday that Eli has begun to lightly throw the ball. Still, as also indicated by General Manager Jerry Reese last week, Eli is expected to miss all of the offseason workouts but be ready for summer training camp in July.
“Eli feels good,” said Peyton Manning. “He was doing some light throwing the other day. Obviously, just upper body. He’s disappointed he has to miss some of the OTAs but it’s better than missing some of the games during the season. He threw the ball well down there at Duke (University). He looked good. Just the doctors felt it might pop up during the fall. But he’s doing well. He’s getting better every day.”
Articles on the New York Giants and the 2014 NFL Draft: