New York Giants Complete Fifth OTA Practice: The New York Giants held their fifth of 10 Organized Team Activity (OTA) practices on Tuesday. No live contact is allowed in OTA practices, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.
The media was not allowed to view Tuesday’s practice, but the Giants released the following details through their website, Giants.com, from John Schmeelk:
- The quarterbacks got some good work in on the back corner fade as they practiced by throwing the ball into a net. Both Eli Manning and Curtis Painter connected in the drill, and Manning carried that over to the team portion of practice, hitting TE Kellen Davis on a perfect throw in the corner of the end zone.
- The running backs looked smooth as the offense worked on the run game today. Andre Williams showed some nice vision on a couple plays and good feet as he quickly turned the ball upfield. You can tell David Wilson has ball security on his mind. Whenever he gets the ball in his hands, he holds it high and tight and puts a second hand over the ball to make sure it is secure.
- The Giants pass rush was very active during practice, with a number of linemen finding their way into the backfield. DE Damontre Moore had an excellent practice and was very vocal after beating the left tackle trying to block him. Undrafted rookie free agent DE Kerry Wynn had an interception after an Eli Manning pass intended for WR Rueben Randle was bobbled and batted in the air almost a half dozen times before being caught by the Richmond product.
- LB Jameel McClain is a great wingman for Jon Beason at linebacker. He flashes the same leadership qualities and has a good eye for defensive adjustments, often barking out audibles based on what the offense is showing.
- S Quintin Demps looks great as a kickoff returner. He always seems to make the right cut and displays speed and explosiveness. That doesn’t mean there won’t be a place for WR Trindon Holliday, who is getting offensive reps as well as special teams return work.
WATCH: QB Eli Manning completes deep pass to WR Rueben Randle. http://t.co/UZdZnMnm9e
— New York Giants (@Giants) June 3, 2014
John Schmeelk of Giants.com also singled out the following players:
- WR Rueben Randle: Randle out-jumping a couple of defenders on an underthrown post pattern 30 yards down field. Earlier in the practice, he caught a nice slant from Eli Manning for a touchdown.
- RB Peyton Hillis: Hillis ran the ball a couple of times and caught a couple well-run screen passes. He did have the ball stripped from him late in practice on a run off right tackle.
- DE Damontre Moore: Moore was very active and very vocal during practice. He used his speed to get around offensive tackles James Brewer, Charles Brown, and Troy Kropog a number of times and vocally let everyone know about it.
Remaining New York Giants OTA practices:
- June 5
- June 9-10
- June 12-13
Thursday’s practice will be open to the media.
The offseason program will culminate on June 17-19 with a mandatory, full-team mini-camp.
Prince Amukamara Disappointed With Will Hill Situation: The New York Giants waived safety Will Hill on Monday after he lost his appeal on his third drug-related suspension by the NFL in three years. His teammates are obviously disappointed to lose their comrade and a valuable member of the defense.
“(In looking at 2013 game film), I realized how many times he saved our butts and how many times he came up big,” Amukamara told Newsday on Monday. “It’s going to be a tough loss. Hopefully if he goes to a team, it’s not someone in the NFC East. He’s a guy you don’t want to face.”
“I just saw him with the trash bag right before we were going out to practice (on Monday), so it shocked us,” Amukamara said. “He told us that he was gone, so it was tough.”
“I know the Giants are very huge on reputation and representing the organization well,” Amukamara said. “It was tough. I figured that was an option, to cut him from the team, but I didn’t think they would. I don’t think he missed a day in meetings or showing up to OTAs or practice. I didn’t see it coming, but I definitely saw it as a possibility.”
“It’s going to be tough to fill his shoes because he brought so much energy on special teams and on defense,” Amukamara said. “He’ll be a hard guy to replace.”
Article on DT Kelcy Quarles: Kelcy Quarles: Analyzing the Giants undrafted defensive tackle on tape by Jordan Raanan of NJ.com
Article on Former Giant S Will Hill: Giants do Will Hill a favor by waiving him by Jordan Raanan of NJ.com
Quotes: CB Prince Amukamara on the new offense under Offensive Coordinator Ben McAdoo: “It’s fun because they bring out a lot of different formations to line up against and, like the Packers offense, it’s more about gun-slinging and quick throws. It’s fun for DBs. It gives us a lot of reps attacking the ball…(The new offense) looks pretty good.”
BBI Has New Ticket Vendor!: We have a new ticket vendor on the site, TicketMonster.com, which has low prices and no fees on tickets for a variety of events, including at preseason and regular-season Giants games. We have included links to tickets to specific games in the Schedule section of the website.