Bill Parcells Addresses New York Giants at Eighth OTA Practice: The New York Giants held their eighth of 10 Organized Team Activity (OTA) practices on Tuesday. Former Giants Head Coach Bill Parcells (1983-1990) attended practice and addressed the team.
— pat hanlon (@giantspathanlon) June 10, 2014
The media was not allowed to view Tuesday’s practice, but the Giants released the following details through their website, Giants.com, from Dan Salomone:
- In a pass-heavy practice, QB Eli Manning looked sharp, completing consecutive throws to WR Jerrel Jernigan, TE Kellen Davis, and two more to Jernigan on the opening series. Later in 7-on-7 drills, the ball was spread around with TE Adrien Robinson, RB Rashad Jennings, and WR Preston Parker all making catches. Quarterbacks Ryan Nassib and Curtis Painter also made quality throws throughout the practice.
- TE Kellen Davis caught a ball down the seam early in team drills, and TE Daniel Fells grabbed a touchdown later on from inside the 5-yard line. However, the tight ends also dropped a few passes.
- LB Spencer Paysinger made a nice jump on a pass from QB Ryan Nassib but couldn’t quite hold onto the ball.
- CB Prince Amukamara was very active, including breaking up a pass intended for WR Jerrel Jernigan late in practice. But his best play was disrupting a fade pass to WR Victor Cruz in the back left-hand corner of the end zone.
- WR Jerrel Jernigan found a rhythm early with Manning, catching three of his four straight completions to begin the team portion of practice. He made a nice grab of another Manning throw later on down the left sideline, where he managed to get a hand on the ball in traffic and tip it to himself for a catch.
— Dan Salomone (@NYGsalomone) June 10, 2014
Photos from today’s OTA are also available from Giants.com.
The remaining New York Giants OTA practices are this week on Thursday and Friday. Thursday’s practice will be open to the media. The offseason program will culminate on June 17-19 with a mandatory, full-team mini-camp.
Eli Manning Talks About Adjusting to New Offense: Quarterback Eli Manning talked to the press on Monday at a charity event. He was asked about the adjustment to new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo’s offense.
“It’s different,” said Manning. “When you’ve been in the same offense for 10 years you’re not always grinding over the installation of what play or had to think about, ‘Hey, what’s the back doing on this route or what route can I maybe change it to to get a better route?’ You’ve gone through all those thinking processes.’’
“I think it’s good. With the new offense, everyone is learning. Every day is a challenge. You’re not going in there to have practice and go through the motions. It’s a lot of preparation and study just go through the practice and have an idea of what might happen and how its going to work out. It’s been a lot of work for the quarterbacks, the wide receivers and everybody. I think it’s good to get that urgency now and get things going. It should set the tempo, the way its going to go, for this upcoming season.
“Only seven practices, so no, we haven’t gotten everything down. I’m not 100 percent on everything going on,” Manning said. “There are still some learning curves and things I gotta digest and think through. But the more reps you get at, the more looks you get, the better you’re getting.
“Our defense is giving us a number of different looks, so each day I’m coming up with some new questions I have for Ben (McAdoo) and our offense. We see things the same way, and we’re making strides. I’m feeling more comfortable throughout the practice. But there’s always a few things where we have some questions after it happens maybe I hadn’t thought of beforehand…I feel good about what our offense can do and the potential of it. It’s just getting to the point where we have a great mastery of it from the mental capacity.”
Three Working Out for Giants This Week: As previously reported, TE Tom Crabtree (ex-Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and rookie free agent CB Victor Hampton (South Carolina) will work out with the Giants this week. NJ.com is also reporting that rookie free agent WR Denzell Jones (Central Connecticut State) will also work out for the Giants on Wednesday.
Article on the New York Giants Offensive Line: For Giants, it’s still all about the O-line by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com