[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
AUGUST 8, 2015 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their eighth summer training camp practice on Saturday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The full training camp schedule is available at Giants.com.
JASON PIERRE-PAUL UPDATE…
Head Coach Tom Coughlin said he has finally spoken to defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, who suffered serious, potentially career-affecting injuries to his right hand in a July 4th fireworks accident.
“I did talk to him late yesterday afternoon,” said Coughlin. “Everybody has had a good conversation with him, and mine was the same. Do I know any more than I did before? No. Do I know when he’s coming? He’s looking forward to coming, he’s anxious to be here, but he’s not going to come until he feels like he’s ready to be able to play. It could be whatever amount of time, I’m not even going to speculate. I was glad to hear his voice, he sounded good, he sounded interested in wanting to get back here. His baby and his fiancé are doing well. He wishes he was here, too. So we’ll see.”
Right guard Geoff Schwartz (coming off of ankle surgery), left tackle Will Beatty (PUP – recovering from pectoral surgery), linebacker Jameel McClain (neck), linebacker Cole Farrand (unknown), cornerback Prince Amukamara (groin), safety Bennett Jackson (quad), and safety Nat Berhe (calf) did not practice.
Schwartz has missed three straight practices but Head Coach Tom Coughlin did not provide an update on him when asked.
Left tackle Ereck Flowers (hip flexor) and center Weston Richburg (knee tendinitis) were limited.
Cornerback Chykie Brown left practice early with a right knee injury that caused him to scream in pain. No word yet on the severity of the injury.
The Giants practiced in full pads. Some snippets from various media sources:
- Landon Collins and Jeromy Miles were the first-team safeties.
- Wide receiver Rueben Randle stretched out to make a sensational, juggling touchdown catch in left corner of the end zone against cornerback Chykie Brown on a pass from quarterback Eli Manning.
- Wide receiver Victor Cruz caught a touchdown pass on a quick out from the slot position.
- Wide receiver Odell Beckham made a trio of impressive catches including a left-handed grab down left sideline on a go-route for a touchdown, beating cornerback Josh Gordy. (Video) Beckham also gave cornerback Chykie Brown problems.
- Defensive tackle Jay Bromley and defensive ends Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Damontre Moore, Jordan Stanton, and Brad Bars flashed.
- Linebacker Mark Herzlich was active making plays.
- Wide receiver James Jones beat cornerback Jayron Hosley on an out for a touchdown.
- Cornerback Trevin Wade intercepted a jump ball pass from quarterback Eli Manning to wide receiver Rueben Randle. (Video)
- Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie intercepted quarterback Eli Manning when there was miscommunication with wide receiver James Jones. (Video)
HEAD COACH TOM COUGHLIN…
Tom Coughlin addressed the media after the afternoon practice (video is available at Giants.com):
Q: You said yesterday there was a possibility you would talk to JPP, did you talk to him last night?
A: I did. Yeah, I did talk to him late yesterday afternoon. Everybody has had a good conversation with him, and mine was the same. Do I know any more than I did before? No. Do I know when he’s coming? He’s looking forward to coming, he’s anxious to be here, but he’s not going to come until he feels like he’s ready to be able to play. It could be whatever amount of time, I’m not even going to speculate. I was glad to hear his voice, he sounded good, he sounded interested in wanting to get back here. His baby and his fiancé are doing well. He wishes he was here, too. So we’ll see.
Q: How optimistic does it make you? Are you at least more optimistic after speaking to him, now that at least the lines of communication are opened up a little bit.
A: Well, we’ve had many people talk to him. Robert Nunn has talked to him, Jerry [Reese] has talked to him. He’s little by little tried to make his contacts, and that is a positive thing.
Q: Victor Cruz, at this point, would travel with you guys, but not necessarily play?
A: Most likely he’ll come, and he may practice. Whether he plays or not, or whether he practices or not—that’s another thing.
Q: How has he looked?
A: He’s moving along very well. Very well.
Q: Tom, do you think there will ever come a time when one-handed catches by Odell Beckham Jr., like today’s, will become routine?
A: Two hands, please. Two hands on the ball. Thank you very much. Ball security, as well.
Q: That seemed to be one of your more physical or chippy practices?
A: It was intended, it was intended. It’s a longer practice, as you know. But that was planned, they’re off tomorrow.
Q: I’m sure you saw or heard about what happened with Houston and Washington.
A: I know, I heard about it.
Q: Do you address that with your team?
A: It’s already been addressed. It’s already been addressed. Marvin [Lewis] and I have already talked about that, last spring. We want good, solid work, but we don’t want any of that.
Q: Concerned about Bennett Jackson?
A: I thought he was started back. He really didn’t miss anything. He was in the jog-through last night, he was running or jogging—as that goes. Again, precaution, precaution. They don’t want him to do any more damage, and he is sore, you can tell he was favoring it a little bit.
Q: What is it?
A: It’s just a quad.
Q: Chykie Brown, did you hear anything?
A: I don’t know anything about it yet.
Q: Is Prince going to Cincinnati?
A: Probably not. Why would he come? He hasn’t practiced yet.
Q: For meetings?
A: Yeah, but I mean if he can play or practice, they would come. The meetings are basically, once we get there, the practice and then looking at the practice—studying it, making sure they know what the corrections are. Those will be the meetings. But you’re right, that’s a good point—we are going to be meeting.
Q: Did you like what you saw of Damontre Moore today?
A: He goes hard, he goes hard. Yeah, he did some good things.
Q: You had another fight today, like the third one in the past few days. Do you have to say something to them?
A: Every time. Every time. Every time. Every time. It’s too bad it gets to that because that takes away from everything else.
Q: Michael Bamiro seems to be in the middle of at least a couple of them:
A: He’s totally innocent. It just happens to be him.
Q: Any word on Geoff Schwartz?
A: No, I don’t have any update on that.
TIGHT ENDS COACH KEVIN M. GILBRIDE…
A video of a Giants.com Q&A session with Kevin M. Gilbride is available at Giants.com.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
The following transcripts and video clips of player media Q&As are available at BigBlueInteractive.com and Giants.com:
- Entering third year, Ryan Nassib talks areas to improve by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz doesn’t think about his surgically-repaired knee by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Shaun O’Hara’s critique not lost upon Giants offensive linemen by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Next men up: Giants assistant Pat Flaherty on some of his reserve offensive linemen by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Without Jason Pierre-Paul, who stands out on Giants’ defensive line? by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- Giants hoping rookie Odighizuwa will be a quick study by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Hard-hitting first impressions from some Giants safety candidates by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
There is no practice on Sunday. The Giants travel to Cincinnati on Monday for joint practices with the Bengals on Tuesday and Wednesday. There will be a jog-thru practice in Cincinnati on Thursday before Friday’s first preseason game. The next training camp practice at Quest Diagnostics Training Center will be held on Sunday, August 16th from 5:50-7:50PM. For a complete listing of training camp practices as well as a handy fan Q&A about training camp, see our Training Camp section of the website. Only four remaining training camp practices at Quest Diagnostics Training Center will be open to the public this year:
- Sunday, August 16: 5:50 – 7:50PM
- Wednesday, August 19: 5:50 – 7:50PM
- Thursday, August 20: 5:50 – 7:50PM
- Tuesday, August 25: 2:30 – 4:30PM