REPORTS – BEN MCADOO WILL BE NEXT COACH OF GIANTS…
According to multiple media reports, 38-year old New York Giants Offensive Coordinator Ben McAdoo will become the 17th head coach of the team. (Officially, the Giants don’t tend to count the two games coached by Benny Friedman in 1930). McAdoo became the Giants’ offensive coordinator in 2014 after Kevin Gilbride “retired” from football. McAdoo has never been a head coach at any level of football.
The official announcement is expected to be made on Thursday.
McAdoo had also interviewed with the Philadelphia Eagles for their head coaching vacancy and The Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting that the Eagles were prepared to hire McAdoo.
#Eagles were in on Ben McAdoo and we're ready to hire the new Giants head coach, according to two NFL sources.
— Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane) January 14, 2016
Multiple media outlets are also reporting that former Miami Dolphins Head Coach Joe Philbin (2012-15) will be the Giants new offensive coordinator. McAdoo and Philbin worked together in Green Bay when McAdoo was the tight ends coach (2006-11) and Philbin the offensive line coach (2006) and the offensive coordinator (2007-11). McAdoo became Green Bay’s quarterbacks coach (2012-13) after Philbin left for the Miami head coaching job.
FOXSports is reporting that Steve Spagnuolo will remain the team’s defensive coordinator despite the defense finishing 32nd in the NFL and being one of the worst statistically in NFL history.
Plan right now is for Steve Spagnuolo, who interviewed for the NYG HC gig, to remain as defensive coordinator, sources say.
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 14, 2016
McAdoo was the first of six candidates the Giants interviewed, including:
- New York Giants Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo
- Detroit Lions Defensive Coordinator Teryl Austin
- Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase
- Jacksonville Jaguars Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Doug Marrone
- Former Atlanta Falcons Head Coach Mike Smith
- Who will be Giants next coach? An NFL insider’s prediction by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- New York Giants: 10 building blocks for 2016 by Dan Schneier of FOXSports.com