[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
JOHN MARA KEEPS DOOR OPEN FOR TOM COUGHLIN…
At Tom Coughlin’s farewell press conference on January 5th, New York Giants team president and CEO John Mara said he would like Coughlin to remain with the team in some capacity.
“I asked him would he consider staying on in some capacity,” said Mara a month ago. “I don’t want to let all that knowledge walk out the door. I asked him to think about over the next few days ways that he might be able to help us going forward.
“He agreed to do that. I don’t think either one of us have an idea yet exactly what form that could take. Let’s face it, he brings a unique perspective. He knows our team as well as anybody. He knows the league as well as anybody. There may be some capacity in which he could help us.
“This is not a situation where we wanted to see him walk out the door. We want him to stay involved because of everything he has brought to this organization, everything he could still possibly do at some point in the future.”
Since that time, Coughlin interviewed for the head coaching jobs of the Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers. The Eagles were reportedly strongly considering him but Coughlin withdrew his name from consideration. Both the Eagles and 49ers have hired new head coaches and the 69-year old Coughlin remains out of work.
On Friday, Mara was asked about Coughlin again. “He’s been away, but I do plan on talking (to him),” Mara said. “There’s still hope.”
NFL NETWORK INTERVIEW WITH VICTOR CRUZ…
The video of an NFL Network interview with New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz is available at Giants.com. The text of the interview is also available at Giants.com.
“GIANTS INSIDER” Q&As…
Video clips of Q&A sessions with the following players are available at Giants.com:
- CB Trevin Wade (Video)
- P Brad Wing (Video)
- Ex-Giants WR Amani Toomer (Video)
- Ex-Giants CB Sam Madison (Video)
- What Giants offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz played through and why 2016 should be better by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Geoff Schwartz isn’t best recruiter to bring brother to Giants by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Ex-Giants lineman Shaun O’Hara: What my Super Bowl ring means to me by Jerry Izenberg for NJ.com
- Walter Payton Award nominee Eli Manning makes impact in community by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- John Mara talks rule changes and concussions by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Giants co-owner John Mara: NFL ‘serious’ about concussions by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.