[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
REPORT – GIANTS HIRE ASSISTANT DEFENSIVE LINE COACH…
FOXSports is reporting that the New York Giants have hired Jeff Zgonina as the team’s assistant defensive line coach. The position is a new one as former Head Coach Tom Coughlin did not have an assistant defensive line coach on his staff. Zgonina will work with new Defensive Line Coach Patrick Graham.
Zgonina has only coached one season at any level, for the Houston Texans as their assistant defensive line coach in 2013. The Texans coaching staff, including Zgonina, was purged after the 2013 season. Zgonina played 17 years in the NFL for seven teams, including the Steelers (1993-1994), Panthers (1995), Falcons (1996), Rams (1997, 1999-2002), Colts (1998), Dolphins (2003-2006), and Texans (2007-2009).
Though not officially announced, it is believed that the Giants’ defensive staff will look as follows:
- Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo (with team 2007-2008, 2015)
- Defensive Line Coach Patrick Graham (new)
- Assistant Defensive Line Coach Jeff Zgonina (new)
- Linebackers Coach Bill McGovern (new)
- Cornerbacks Coach Tim Walton (with team since 2015)
- Safeties Coach David Merritt (with team since 2004)
- Defensive Assistant Rob Leonard (with team since 2013)
NJ.com is reporting that this completes the team’s coaching staff. Expect an official announcement shortly. The rest of the staff reportedly looks as follows:
- Offensive Coordinator: Mike Sullivan (with team 2004-11, 2015)
- Quarterbacks Coach: Frank Cignetti, Jr. (new)
- Running Backs Coach: Craig Johnson (with team since 2014)
- Wide Receivers Coach: Adam Henry (new)
- Tight Ends Coach: Kevin M. Gilbride (with team since 2010)
- Offensive Line Coach: Mike Solari (new)
- Assistant Offensive Line Coach: Lunda Wells (with team since 2012)
- Offensive Assistant: Ryan Roeder (with team since 2013)
- Special Teams Coordinator Tom Quinn (with team since 2006)
- Assistant Special Teams Coach Dwayne Stukes (new)
- Strength and Conditioning Coach Aaron Wellman (new)
- Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach – Not known if it will remain Markus Paul (with team since 2007)
- Performance Manager/Strength and Conditioning Assistant – Not known if it remain Joe Danos (with team since 2013)
The resumes for these coaches are available in the Coaching Staff section of the website.
REPORT – JAY BROMLEY CLEARED…
NJ.com reports that New York Giants defensive tackle Jay Bromley has been cleared of all wrongdoing regarding his involvement in a January 30th incident at a hotel in New York City. A woman Bromley met online and had sex with alleged Bromley raped her and hit her with his car. Authorities have supposedly determined that the woman concocted the story.
“As we stated from the outset, the allegations against Mr. Bromley were completely false,” Bromley’s attorney told NJ.com. “Today, Mr. Bromley has been officially cleared of all wrongdoing. We are thankful to law enforcement for their efforts, and are hopeful that the focus can now return to Jay Bromley’s remarkable story.”
“He’s not going to be charged. There’s no criminality,” a high-ranking police official reportedly told The New York Daily News.
- How much money the Giants currently have to spend under the salary cap by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Signing Matt Forte would make zero sense for the Giants by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News