[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
MAY 23, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS OTA PRACTICE REPORT…
Phase Three (Weeks 6-9) of the New York Giants voluntary nine-week offseason program started on Monday. During Phase Three of offseason programs, NFL teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activities, or “OTAs”. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.
The OTA practices will be held May 23-24, May 26, June 1-3, June 6-7, and June 9-10. The Giants will hold a mandatory, full-team mini-camp on June 14-16.
INJURY REPORT AND ABSENTEES…
Safety Cooper Taylor had surgery last week to repair a sports hernia injury and will be out until training camp begins on July 28.
Working on the side were wide receiver Victor Cruz (calf), running back Orleans Darkwa (leg), offensive tackle Byron Stingily (unknown), and defensive end Romeo Okwara (unknown).
“Right now, we’re looking for (Cruz) to get back here and he’s working to get back to training camp,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo. “Small steps.”
Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was a no-show for the voluntary OTA. “DRC wasn’t able to make it today,” said McAdoo. “We look forward to getting him back here as soon as we can…It’s a voluntary opportunity, OTA’s. If he’s here, we’ll coach him. If he’s not, we wish him nothing but the best…We want all of our guys here. We feel it’s important to developing the team and building fundamentals and working on communication and we can’t wait to get DRC back.”
Some snippets from various media sources:
- The first-team safeties were Landon Collins and Nat Berhe. The second-team safeties were Bennett Jackson and Darian Thompson.
- The first-team wide receivers were Odell Beckham, Jr. and Geremy Davis outside, with Dwayne Harris playing in the slot.
- Cornerback Eli Apple received time with the first unit and did a nice job against receivers such as Geremy Davis and Dwayne Harris. He worked both outside and in the slot.
- Offensive lineman Bobby Hart appeared to work exclusively at right tackle, even receiving some first-team reps.
- Nikita Whitlock lined up at fullback with second team in drills. Will Johnson appeared to work with the second team at H-Back.
- Adam Gettis was working with the second-team offensive line at center.
- Brad Bars appears to have been shifted from defensive end to linebacker.
- Cornerback Janoris Jenkins had a nice pass breakup of a deep pass from quarterback Eli Manning to wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr.
- Wide receiver Geremy Davis made a diving catch of a deep ball from quarterback Eli Manning.
- Wide receiver Roger Lewis beat cornerback Tramain Jacobs on a deep pass from quarterback Ryan Nassib.
- Some video highlights are available at Giants.com.
JPP, wearing new custom-made gloves, hitting the sled. pic.twitter.com/JMgnxMpeix
— Paul Schwartz (@NYPost_Schwartz) May 23, 2016
— New York Giants (@Giants) May 23, 2016
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- 5 surprises at Giants OTAs beginning with no Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Jason Pierre-Paul catches on with new glove, impresses Ben McAdoo by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Eli Apple thrown into the deep end in first OTA by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Giants’ Damon Harrison fulfills his boyhood promise and buys a home for his mother by Tom Rock of Newsday
- A possible internal solution for the Giants’ offensive line by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- New Giants WR Sterling Shepard was born to run and catch by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Underrated Will Johnson could provide Giants offense with world of options by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Giants’ new cornerback traveled long, hard road to get here by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Janoris Jenkins says 5 kids with 4 women is ‘a blessing’ by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Safety corps has something to prove by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
- Paging Dwight Freeney: Here’s why Giants still have pass rush concerns by James Kratch for NJ.com