AUGUST 2, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their fourth summer training camp practice on Tuesday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
INJURY REPORT – DAMON HARRISON OFF OF THE PUP…
New York Giants defensive tackle Jay Bromley (ankle) and linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring) remain on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform (PUP) List.
Defensive tackle Damon Harrison (knee swelling) was activated from the PUP and practiced on Tuesday.
Wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. (left leg) did not practice.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- The Giants wore their shoulder pads but were in shorts, not full pads just yet.
- Giants have used no-huddle offense in every practice.
- Quarterback Logan Thomas has a strong arm and connected with some receivers, but he also looked indecisive at times and ran with the ball instead.
- Defensive tackle Damon Harrison worked with the first-team defense and was a noticeable presence in run defense.
- Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie did a nice job of breaking up passes intended for wide receivers Tavarres King and K.J. Maye.
- The first-team wide receivers were Geremy Davis, Myles White, and Sterling Shepard (slot). Wide receiver Victor Cruz also received some first-team snaps. Davis and Shepard looked sharp.
- Roger Lewis and Tavarres King flashed at wide receiver.
- Wide receiver Sterling Shepard looked good running after the catch and also made a nice diving reception.
- Wide receiver Geremy Davis beat cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie downfield, but quarterback Eli Manning missed him.
- Cornerback Trevin Wade had a nice breakup against wide receiver Roger Lewis.
- Tight end Matt LaCosse had a big catch-and-run over the middle of the defense against safety Landon Collins.
- Tight end Jerell Adams beat linebacker Kelvin Sheppard over the middle for a nice gain. (VIDEO)
- Running back Orleans Darkwa had several nice runs.
— New York Giants (@Giants) August 2, 2016
THE COACHES SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following coaches are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Head Coach Ben McAdoo (Video)
- Running Backs Coach Craig Johnson (Video)
- Linebackers Coach Bill McGovern (Video)
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
TOM COUGHLIN NAMED NFL SENIOR ADVISOR TO FOOTBALL OPERATIONS…
The NFL announced on Monday that Tom Coughlin, who served as head coach of the New York Giants from 2004-2015, has been named Senior Advisor to Football Operations.
“We are incredibly pleased to add someone of Coach Coughlin’s experience and character to our staff,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. “His passion for football is evident and we are confident he will contribute a great deal to the betterment of the game for current and future players as well as for fans at every level of our sport.”
According to the NFL press release, “Coughlin will advise game-related league committees, including Competition, Health and Safety, Coaches Subcommittee, General Managers Advisory, Combine Review and NCAA Rules and Oversight. He will provide strategic guidance on other matters, including playing rules, coaching techniques, and the development of football personnel, while also providing insight on the operation of the NFL Draft and Pro Bowl.”
“I am looking forward to working with Commissioner Goodell and the talented people representing the National Football League,” Coughlin said. “My purpose is to serve for the betterment of the great game of football.”
- Giants GM Jerry Reese feels he’s built ‘really good’ team by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- How Giants perform this season should fall on GM Jerry Reese by Pat Leonard of The New York Daily News
- Eli Manning takes a Giant step as vocal leader by Tara Sullivan of The Bergen Record
- Giants looking for more defined running back rotation by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Paul Perkins making forward progress as Giants rookie running back by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Myles White lightning fast on receiving end for Giants by Tom Rock of Newsday
- WR Myles White making strong case for roster spot by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Tavarres King making moves in Giants’ fierce receiver battle by James Kratch for NJ.com
- RT Marshall Newhouse ignores talk that Giants are seeking his replacement by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- Twitter’s least favorite Giants starter isn’t hearing it anymore by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Ben McAdoo’s challenge to Bobby Hart: Win Giants’ right tackle job by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Giants’ Owa Odighizuwa embracing challenges with eye on greatness by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Run defense gets boost with Damon Harrison’s return by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Damon Harrison, Giants’ blue-collar guy, adjusts to new team by Bob Glauber of Newsday
- Damon ‘Snacks’ Harrison doesn’t want to be known as Giants’ $46.25M nose tackle, just wants ‘to be the best’ by Gary Myers of The New York Daily News
- The damning label threatening to wreck Devon Kennard’s promise by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Jasper Brinkley knows the history of Harry Carson and No. 53 by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Giants’ Kelvin Sheppard and Dwayne Harris are family off the field, too by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Giants’ Brad Wing thinks new job security will make him a better punter by Tom Rock of Newsday
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The fifth training camp practice will be held on Wednesday, but it is not open to the public. Only seven remaining training camp practices at Quest Diagnostics Training Center will be open to the public (weather permitting) this year:
- Thursday, August 4: 10:40 AM – 12:45 PM
- Friday, August 5: 10:40 AM – 11:40 AM
- Saturday, August 6: 10:40 AM – 1:00 PM
- Monday, August 8: 11:10 AM – 12:40 PM
- Tuesday, August 9: 10:40 AM – 12:55 PM
- Wednesday, August 10: 10:40 AM – 12:20 PM
- Sunday, August 14: 11:10 AM – 12:50 PM