AUGUST 6, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their eighth summer training camp practice on Saturday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
New York Giants defensive tackle Jay Bromley (ankle) and linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring) remain on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform (PUP) List.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- In 1-on-1 drills, cornerback Eli Apple blanketed wide receivers Victor Cruz (twice) and Dwayne Harris (once) on throws into the end zone.
- In 1-on-1 drills, cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie broke up a pass in the end zone intended for wide receiver Myles White.
- In 7-on-7 drills, wide receiver Darius Powe caught two touchdown passes (VIDEO); tight ends Will Tye and Matt LaCosse each caught one touchdown pass.
- Quarterback Eli Manning connected with wide receiver Odell Beckham on a deep touchdown pass down the left sideline, beating cornerback Janoris Jenkins. (VIDEO)
- Bobby Hart received some first-team reps at right tackle.
- Wide receiver Darius Powe caught a deep pass pass against double coverage in 11-one-11 drills from quarterback Ryan Nassib. Powe took a big hit on the play but held onto the ball.
- Quarterback Ryan Nassib also hit wide receiver K.J. Maye deep for a big gain.
- Cornerback Eli Apple was flagged twice for illegal-use-of-hands penalties.
- Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie broke up a pass over the middle intended for wide receiver Geremy Davis.
- First-team nickel linebackers were Keenan Robinson and Jonathan Casillas.
- Cornerback Leon Hall and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie practiced with the first-team at slot corner in the nickel defense.
- Cornerbacks Leon McFadden and Donte Deayon (against wide receiver Darius Powe) broke up passes in the end zone.
- Quarterback Eli Manning hit tight Larry Donnell twice over the middle for decent gains.
- Cornerback Eli Apple broke up a touchdown in the end zone against wide receiver Roger Lewis.
- Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul picked up a loose ball fumbled by quarterback Eli Manning and returned it for a touchdown. Defensive end Olivier Vernon may have influenced the fumble.
- Linebacker Kelvin Sheppard stuffed running back Andre Williams at the goal line.
- In 1-on-1 drills, cornerback Janoris Jenkins had excellent coverage on wide receiver Sterling Shepard and knocked the ball away in the end zone.
- Wide receiver Tavarres King beat cornerback Leon McFadden for a touchdown on a pass from quarterback Ryan Nassib.
— New York Giants (@Giants) August 6, 2016
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Familiar Giants O-line gets burst of energy from new coach by George Willis of The New York Post
- Giants rookie RB Paul Perkins studying the playbook after finishing school by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- Giants’ Cruz says comeback quest is going well by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Giants’ Weston Richburg on football-player Jesus and Odell’s shadow by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- Graham leading new-look Giants defensive line by John Fennelly of SNY
- Jason Pierre-Paul: Right hand holding up in full-contact drills by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Olivier Vernon’s hidden value: Mentor to key Giants lineman by Zach Braziller of The New York Post
- Leon Hall adjusting to life with Giants after spending 9 years with Cincinnati Bengals by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Giants’ Cooper Taylor hopes ‘crazy, wild ride’ ends with roster spot by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Giants safety working hard to return after injury by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
There is no practice on Sunday. The ninth training camp practice will be held on Monday from 11:10AM – 12:40PM. Only four remaining training camp practices at Quest Diagnostics Training Center will be open to the public (weather permitting) this year:
- Monday, August 8: 11:10 AM – 12:40 PM
- Tuesday, August 9: 10:40 AM – 12:55 PM
- Wednesday, August 10: 10:40 AM – 12:20 PM
- Sunday, August 14: 11:10 AM – 12:50 PM