AUGUST 9, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their tenth summer training camp practice on Tuesday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
New York Giants defensive tackle Jay Bromley (ankle) and linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring) remain on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform (PUP) List.
Linebacker Keenan Robinson (groin) did not practice. Wide receiver Victor Cruz (groin) and safety Nat Berhe (hamstring) were limited.
“It happened during practice, just a little tightness,” said Cruz. “I didn’t want to push it and make it worse, so I just told the training staff and they shut me down…A couple of days, so we’ll see…I’m sure it clouds up (me playing in the first preseason game on Friday) a little bit.”
Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (stinger) and safety Landon Collins (lower leg) were dinged in practice but returned.
Fullback Nikita Whitlock (illness) was carted off of the field near the end of practice.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- The first-team defense to start practice had Kelvin Sheppard at middle linebacker and Janoris Jenkins and Eli Apple at cornerback.
- Ishaq Williams appears to have been shifted from defensive end to linebacker. Williams intercepted a quarterback Logan Thomas pass tipped by cornerback Donte Deayon.
- In 1-on-1 drills, cornerback Eli Apple covered Odell Beckham like a blanket on one deep shot.
- Wide receiver Sterling Shepard got away from Eli Apple on a double move for a touchdown.
- Wide receiver Odell Beckham beat cornerback Janoris Jenkins for a touchdown.
- Cornerback Donte Deayon broke up a pass intended for wide receiver Roger Lewis, but then Lewis made a great catch in the end zone against cornerback Matt Smalley.
- On the first play of 7-on-7 drills, quarterback Eli Manning hit tight end Larry Donnell down the sideline for a one-handed, diving catch against safety Landon Collins. (VIDEO) Manning and Donnell later hooked up for a touchdown on 7-on-7 drills.
- In 11-on-11 drills, the first-team wide receivers were Odell Beckham, Sterling Shepard, and Geremy Davis. In addition, Darius Powe and Roger Lewis received some first-team snaps.
- The defense ran a pass-rush package up front that had Devon Kennard at left defensive end, Jason Pierre-Paul at left defensive tackle, Owamagbe Odighizuwa at right defensive tackle, and Olivier Vernon at right defensive end.
- Wide receiver Odell Beckham beat cornerback Eli Apple on a double move for a touchdown.
- Safety Darian Thompson had good coverage against wide receiver Geremy Davis on a long post throw.
- In 7-on-7 drills, quarterback Eli Manning hit tight end Larry Donnell for a touchdown off of play-action. Manning then threw a strike to wide receiver Roger Lewis for a touchdown against cornerback Janoris Jenkins.
- Wide receiver Tavarres King beat cornerback Leon McFadden in the end zone for a touchdown despite tight coverage.
- Defensive tackle Davon Coleman recovered a fumble by Ryan Nassib.
- The defense stopped the offense three times in a row in the two-minute drill. Defensive end Oliver Vernon sacked quarterback Eli Manning (not actually hit) on 4th down to end one drive.
- Shane McDermott continues to receive some first-team snaps at center.
- Running back Orleans Darkwa has had a good training camp, running very aggressively.
- Wide receiver Sterling Shepard continues to impress and is developing a nice chemistry with quarterback Eli Manning.
- Defensive end Kerry Wynn flashed at practice on a number of plays.
- Leon Hall has looked sharp at slot cornerback.
- Defensive end Stansly Maponga had a touch sack of quarterback Ryan Nassib.
— Art Stapleton (@art_stapleton) August 9, 2016
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Under-the-radar Giants who could make the final roster by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Giants tight ends are quietly making plays at training camp by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Victor Cruz: Setback nothing to really worry about by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Giants’ Pierre-Paul looks ready to have a big season by Tara Sullivan of The Bergen Record
- Rookie Darian Thompson makes case for starting role by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The eleventh training camp practice will be held on Wednesday from 10:40AM – 12:20PM. Only two remaining training camp practices at Quest Diagnostics Training Center will be open to the public (weather permitting) this year:
- Wednesday, August 10: 10:40 AM – 12:20 PM
- Sunday, August 14: 11:10 AM – 12:50 PM