[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
OWAMAGBE ODIGHIZUWA SUSPENDED…
New York Giants defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2017 regular season for violating the NFL policy on performance enhancing substances. Odighizuwa will be eligible to return to the Giants active roster on Monday, October 2 following the team’s October 1 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Odighizuwa is eligible to participate in all remaining preseason practices and games.
Drafted in the 3rd round of the 2015 NFL Draft by the Giants, Odighizuwa has not developed as hoped or expected. Hamstring and foot injuries caused him to miss 12 games of his rookie season. He missed two regular-season games in 2016 with a knee injury and the playoff game with a hamstring injury. In his 18 regular-season games, Odighizuwa has been credited with just six tackles and one pass defense.
The New York Giants have placed offensive lineman Adam Gettis (foot) on Injured Reserve. The team also waived/injured defensive end Evan Schwan (broken foot). Both players were injured during the Giants-Jets game on Saturday. To fill these roster vacancies, the team claimed cornerback Tay Glover-Wright off of waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles and signed rookie free agent cornerback Daniel Gray.
The 6’0”, 180-pound Glover-Wright was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Atlanta Falcons after the 2014 NFL Draft. Glover-Wright has spent time with the Falcons (2014), Green Bay Packers (2014), Indianapolis Colts (2015-2016), and Eagles (2017), but he has only played in two NFL games (both in 2015).
The 5’10”, 190-pound Gray was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Arizona Cardinals after the 2017 NFL Draft. The Cardinals waived him last week.
Gettis spent the bulk of the 2016 season on the Practice Squad, but he did play in three games with one start at left guard, performing admirably. Gettis was originally drafted in the 5th round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. He has spent time with the Redskins (2012-2013), Steelers (2014), Giants (2014-2015), Raiders (2015), and Giants again (2015-2016). Gettis has played in 17 regular-season games with one start.
Schwan was signed by the Giants as an undrafted rookie free agent after the 2017 NFL Draft.
Wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. (ankle), wide receiver Tavarres King (ankle), defensive tackle Damon Harrison (rest day), defensive tackle Jay Bromley (sprained knee), linebacker Keenan Robinson (concussion), linebacker Mark Herzlich (burner), cornerback Eli Apple (ankle), cornerback Michael Hunter (concussion), and Duke Ihenacho (sprained knee) did not practice.
“Jay (Bromley is) sore,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo. “We’ll it take it day-by-day right now and see how he responds to treatment.”
“We will take it one day at a time,” Bromley said. “It’s remarkable how it feels from one day to the next. I am just going to keep working on it, keep going to treatment and just keep getting better every day… I definitely want to play for the opener, but I just got to listen to my body and take it one day at a time.”
“(Beckham is) improving,” said McAdoo. “He’s getting treatment, he responds well to treatment and we’ll repeat that process again for tomorrow.”
Wide receivers Brandon Marshall (shoulder) and Dwayne Harris (upper body) returned to practice.
It was determined that running back Shaun Draughn did not suffer a concussion in the Jets game. He practiced.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- OT Bobby Hart (Video)
- DT Jay Bromley (Video)
- DT Dalvin Tomlinson (Video)
- LB Jonathan Casillas (Video)
- PK Aldrick Rosas (Video)
- Geno Smith among most notable names remaining on Giants’ roster bubble by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- 9 observations from the Giants’ preseason win over the Jets by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- Could Jerry Reese swing a cutdown day deal? | Giants’ potential trade chips by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Sterling Shepard is stepping out of the Giants shadows by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Giants’ rookie Travis Rudolph reaching for his NFL dream by Tara Sullivan of The Bergen Record
- Look out, NFL: Jason Pierre-Paul appears on the verge of a monster season for Giants by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Walk this way: Now that Giants rookie Avery Moss has mastered crawling, he’s set for more by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Inside a player’s perspective of roster cutdown day by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Giants’ J.T. Thomas happy to be back on field after torn ACL by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Here’s why J.T. Thomas could still make Giants’ 53-man roster by James Kratch for NJ.com
- From roster bubble to big play vs Jets, Deayon confident he’s convinced Giants he belongs by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The New York Giants practice on Tuesday at 11:20AM.