[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
MARCH 15, 2018 NEW YORK GIANTS FREE AGENT NEWS…
Here is the latest news on the free agent front for the New York Giants:
- The New York Giants have officially re-signed exclusive rights free agent defensive tackle Robert Thomas, who played in 15 games with no starts in 2017 and finished the season with 16 tackles. Thomas was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Washington Redskins after the 2014 NFL Draft. He has spent time with the Redskins (2014-2015), Seahawks (2015), Patriots (2015), Dolphins (2015), and Panthers (2016). The Giants claimed Thomas off of waivers from the Panthers in September 2016; he played in eight regular-season games with no starts and finished the year with five tackles and one sack.
- The NFL Network is reporting that the New York Giants have invited unrestricted free agent center John Sullivan (Los Angeles Rams) to visit. The Washington Redskins are also said to be interested in his services. The 32-year old, 6’4”, 310-pound Sullivan was originally drafted in the 6th round of the 2008 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings. He has spent time with the Vikings (2008-2015), Redskins (2016), and Rams (2017). Sullivan has started 109 regular-season games, including 15 last year for the Rams.
- ESPN is reporting that the New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles have expressed interest in unrestricted free agent punter Pat O’Donnell (Chicago Bears). The 27-year old, 6’4”, 217-pound O’Donnell was originally drafted in the 6th round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the Bears. In four seasons with the Bears, he has averaged 44.9 yards per punt (39.2 yard net). Last year, he averaged 47 yards per punt (39.7 yard net).
- The NFL Network is reporting that New York Giants unrestricted free agent linebacker Jonathan Casillas is visiting the New England Patriots. Casillas was placed on Injured Reserve in early December 2017 with neck and wrist injuries. Casillas started all eight games he played in and finished with a disappointing 35 tackles and one pass defense. It was a major step down for Casillas, who has his best season to date as a pro in 2016 when he started 15 regular-season games and finished the year with 96 tackles, 1.5 sacks, eight pass defenses, and one forced fumble. Casillas was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the New Orleans Saints after the 2009 NFL Draft. He has played for the Saints (2009-2011), Buccaneers (2013-2014), and Patriots (2014). The Giants signed him as a free agent in March 2015.
- ESPN is reporting that New York Giants unrestricted free agent offensive guard D.J. Fluker is visiting the Seattle Seahawks. Fluker was placed on Injured Reserve in late November 2017 with a toe injury. The Giants signed Fluker in March 2017 after he was cut by the Los Angeles Chargers. He started six games at right guard before being injured. Fluker was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the 1st round of the 2013 NFL Draft. In four seasons with the Chargers, Fluker started 59 regular-season games, first at right tackle and then right guard. After a solid rookie season in 2013, Fluker struggled with the Chargers and was cut in March 2017.
For a complete listing of free agent comings and goings, see the BBI New York Giants 2018 Free Agency Scorecard section of the website.
ALEC OGLETREE MEDIA CONFERENCE CALL…
The transcript of Thursday’s media conference call with New York Giants linebacker Alec Ogletree is available in The Corner Forum section of the website.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.