[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
AUGUST 21, 2018 NEW YORK GIANTS PRACTICE REPORT…
There are no more New York Giants training camp practices open to the public this summer. However, the team will continue to practice at Quest Diagnostics Training Center each week, including Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week.
Not practicing on Tuesday due to injury were wide running back Saquon Barkley (hamstring), running back Jalen Simmons (concussion), defensive end R.J. McIntosh (unknown – Active/Non-Football Illness list), linebacker Connor Barwin (knee), linebacker Calvin Munson (concussion), and safety Darian Thompson (hamstring).
“As we all know, (Barkley) tweaked his hamstring, and he’s training really well and doing more and more each day,” said Head Coach Pat Shurmur. “We like the path he’s on.”
Defensive lineman A.J. Francis left practice early with an unknown injury, but later returned.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- The Giants were in full pads for the second day in a row.
- Linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong continued to work with first-team nickel defense.
- William Gay was the second-team free safety.
- Donte Deayon received some reps at first-team slot corner.
- Linebacker Kareem Martin penetrated into the backfield for a “sack” against right tackle Ereck Flowers.
- Cornerback Eli Apple jumped a sideline toss from quarterback Eli Manning but dropped the potential interception.
- For the second straight day, quarterback Kyle Lauletta hit wide receiver Jawill Davis deep. Lauletta later connected with Davis again on a fade pass for a score.
- Quarterback Eli Manning hit tight end Evan Engram on a post pattern for a long touchdown. Manning later connected with wide receiver Sterling Shepard for another long score.
- Quarterback Davis Webb threw a touchdown strike to wide receiver Amba Etta-Tawo who was being double covered.
- Quarterback Kyle Lauletta threw a fade touchdown pass to wide receiver Alonzo Russell over cornerback Leonard Johnson.
- Cornerback Grant Haley knocked away a sideline pass intended for wideout Kalif Raymond.
- Quarterback Davis Webb threw a fade touchdown pass to wide receiver Amba Etta-Tawo, who made a one-handed catch, over cornerback Grant Haley.
- Cornerback Janoris Jenkins broked up a deep pass from quarterback Eli Manning to wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr.
- Cornerback Donte Deayon picked off a pass from quarterback Davis Webb near the goal line.
HEAD COACH PAT SHURMUR…
The transcript of Pat Shurmur’s press conference on Tuesday is available in The Corner Forum while the video is available at Giants.com.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- QB Eli Manning (Video)
- DE B.J. Hill (Giants.com Insider Video)
- LB Ray-Ray Armstrong
- LB Mark Herzlich
- Giants offensive line already loving coach’s chemistry boost by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Halapio seeks Coach Shurmur, a former center, for pointers by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
VICTOR CRUZ RETIRES FROM THE NFL…
Former New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz (2010-2016) has retired from the NFL. In his seven seasons with the Giants, Cruz played in 70 regular-season games with 53 starts, catching 303 passes for 4,549 and 25 touchdowns. Signed as a rookie free agent after the 2010 NFL Draft, Cruz’s football career ended prematurely after suffering three lower-leg injuries that seemed to rob him of his quickness, including arthroscopic knee surgery in 2013, career-threatening patellar tendon knee injury in 2014, and a calf injury that required surgery in 2015. The Giants cut him in February 2017.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.