MAY 19, 2022 NEW YORK GIANTS OTA PRACTICE REPORT…
The Giants held their third voluntary organized team activity (OTA) practice on Thursday, and first one open to the media. No live contact is permitted during OTAs, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are allowed.
“We’re on really our third practice day today,” said Head Coach Brian Daboll before practice. “We’ll be inside. A little slick outside. Working on some 1st and 2nd down stuff. We’ve had two good days. I’d say we’ve improved a little bit each day, worked on some different situations. Still a long way to go, but it’s been a good start… We’ve had everybody here… We’ve had, I’d say, exceptional attendance… It’s just good to have all the guys here so we can implement our stuff.”
The seven remaining OTA practices will be held on May 23-24, May 26, May 31-June 3. A mandatory mini-camp will also be held June 7-9.
INJURY REPORT AND ABSENTEES…
Players wearing red jerseys because of injury issues included WR Kenny Golladay, WR Kadarius Toney, WR Sterling Shepard, WR Collin Johnson, WR Richie James, WR Austin Proehl, OT Andrew Thomas, OC Nick Gates, OT Matt Peart, OL Jamil Douglas, ILB Blake Martinez, OLB Quincy Roche, ILB Cam Brown, ILB T.J. Brunson, and CB Rodarius Williams. Some of these players participated in practice, while others did not.
“Yeah, so we’ll have some guys in red jerseys today,” said Head Coach Brian Daboll. “Some can do a little bit more than others. Some are rehabbing. There will be I’d say a number of guys right now in red jerseys. I’m not going to get into the specifics of it right now at this point in time, but you guys will end up seeing them… (Gates) had a tough injury, but he’s done a good job with his rehab. Probably still a little bit a ways away. I’d say him and Matt Peart, they’re rehabbing every single day, getting better each day, so we’ll see where they’re at.”
Not present were WR Wan’Dale Robinson (NFL rookie symposium), TE Ricky Seals-Jones (personal), and DL Dexter Lawrence (personal).
Some snippets from various media sources:
- The starting offensive line was LT Korey Cunningham, LG Shane Lemieux, OC Jon Feliciano, RG Mark Glowinski, and RT Evan Neal.
- The second-team offensive line was LT Devery Hamilton, LG Joshua Ezeudu, OC Ben Bredeson, RG Marcus McKethan, and RT Matt Gono. Max Garcia also alternated with Bredeson at center. McKethan also saw reps at right tackle.
- TE Daniel Bellinger received first-team reps. He made a nice catch on an out route from QB Daniel Jones.
- First team defense had Leonard Williams and Justin Ellis on the defensive line. They were backed up by David Moa and D.J. Davidson. Third-team defensive line was Chris Hinton and Jalyn Holmes.
- Blake Martinez and Tae Crowder were the first-team inside linebackers; Kayvon Thibodeaux and Azeez Ojulari worked outside. Second-team was Cam Brown and Carter Coughlin inside and Jihad Ward and Elerson Smith outside. Third-team was T.J. Brunson and Justin Hilliard inside and Oshane Ximines and Niko Lalos outside.
- Adoree’ Jackson and Aaron Robinson were the first-team cornerbacks with Darnay Holmes serving as the nickel corner. Second-team was Zyon Gilbert and Darren Evans outside with Cor’Dale Flott in the slot. The third-team was Michael Jacquet and Maurice Canady outside with Khalil Dorsey in the slot.
- The first-team safeties were Xavier McKinney and Julian Love. Second-team was Jarren Williams and Dane Belton; third-team was Yusuf Corker and Henry Black.
- Offensively, the team showed a ton of empty sets and pre-snap motion. There was an emphasis on RPOs. QB Daniel Jones made a big gain on a designed run.
- In 7-on-7 drills, QB Davis Webb scrambled and threw a long touchdown pass to WR C.J. Board.
- QB Daniel Jones badly overthrew one pass that was intercepted by S Julian Love.
- QB Tyrod Taylor made a perfect deep sideline throw to WR Robert Foster over CB Zyon Gilbert.
- LB Kayvon Thibodeaux would have had a sack on QB Daniel Jones in team drills. Thibodeaux also had nice coverage on two other plays.
- LB Jihad Ward, DL Jalyn Holmes, and DL Ryder Anderson would have had sacks on QB Tyrod Taylor.
- WR Travis Toivonen, WR C.J. Board, and WR Alex Bachman were active catching the football.
- Running backs Saquon Barkley, Matt Breida, Antonio Williams, and Gary Brightwell were active catching the football. Barkley lined up in the slot on one play. Breida showed a nice burst after the catch.
- LB Darrian Beavers and LB Justin Hilliard forced incompletions with solid coverage.
- CB Michael Jacquet broke up two passes.
GIANTS ADD ANOTHER DEFENSIVE BACK…
The Giants have signed free agent cornerback Michael Jacquet. To make room, the team also waived defensive lineman Antonio Valentino.
The 25-year old, 6’1”, 203-pound Jacquet was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Philadelphia Eagles after the 2020 NFL Draft. As a rookie, Jacquet played in seven games with two starts, accruing 18 tackles, one sack, three pass defenses, and one forced fumble. He spent time on both the Practice Squads of the Eagles and Jacksonville Jaguars in 2021.
Valentino was an undrafted rookie free agent signed by the Giants after the 2022 NFL Draft.
THE COACHES SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following coaches are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Head Coach Brian Daboll (Video)
- Offensive Coordinator Mike Kafka (Video)
- Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey (Video)
- Offensive Position Coaches (Video)
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.