Please Support BigBlueInteractive.com in its 20th Season! The annual BBI contribution campaign has begun. The continued existence of BBI depends on the voluntary contributions of our readers. For details, please see our contribution page.
In case you missed it, other articles from BBI today:
- July 29, 2014 New York Giants Training Camp Report
- LIVE UPDATES: July 29, 2014 New York Giants Training Camp
- David Wilson Leaves Giants’ Practice with Neck Burner
July 29, 2014 New York Giants Injury Report: LB Jon Beason (foot – PUP), WR Rueben Randle (hamstring), WR Trindon Holliday (leg), WR Odell Beckham (hamstring), TE Xavier Grimble (hamstring), DT Everett Dawkins (unknown), CB Ross Weaver (unknown), and CB Travis Howard (unknown) did not practice on Tuesday. The Giants said Grimble practiced, but the reporters said he did not.
Most troubling is that RB David Wilson left practice early with what is being called a “burner” to his neck. According to the Giants, the injury occurred when Wilson caught a shovel pass, turned upfield with his head down, and ran into the back of offensive lineman Eric Herman.
Wilson was only cleared for football contact on July 21 after suffering a career-threatening neck injury against the Eagles in October 2013. Wilson had surgery on January 16, 2014 to fuse vertebrae in his neck.
Wilson was sent to the Hospital for Special Surgery for a full battery of tests to determine the severity of the injury he suffered on Tuesday.
After practice, Head Coach Tom Coughlin was visibly concerned.
“He got a burner. So we’ll see,” said Coughlin. “We’ll hear what they have to say first. We were all praying that he wouldn’t have an issue and come back to work. He was cleared, as you know. We’ll see. I’m not going to speculate what it is and see what the doctors say.”
Odell Beckham, who aggravated an offseason hamstring injury at the beginning of camp and has not practiced since, talked about his injury and the tests he underwent on Monday to determine the status of the injury.
“(The tests revealed) just heavy inflammation and blood in the hamstring,” said Beckham. “The trainers are just taking it day-by-day to see. Whatever happens is what happens. It’s up to them right now on the length, however long it’s going to be…they just said it’s still day-by-day.”
“Yeah (I’m frustrated),” said Beckham. “I talked to Coach Coughlin and like he said, it’s frustrating on both ends. He wants me out there as bad as I want to be out there. It’s just kind of like you work so hard to get to where you’re at now and it’s like you can’t go out there and do the one thing that you love to do. It’s hard to just take that all the time and then have your coach, at the same time, be frustrated.”
July 29, 2014 New York Giants Player Media Q&As: Transcripts and video of Tuesday’s media Q&A sessions with the following players are available at Giants.com:
- WR Odell Beckham (Video)
- TE Daniel Fells (Video)
- DT Mike Patterson (Video)
- CB Prince Amukamara (Video)
What we found out during media hour by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
New York Giants on WFAN Radio: Audio clips of Tuesday’s WFAN Radio interviews with the following team officials and players are available at CBS New York:
- President/CEO John Mara (Audio)
- General Manager Jerry Reese (Audio)
- Head Coach Tom Coughlin (Audio)
- QB Eli Manning (Audio)
- WR Victor Cruz (Audio)
- S Antrel Rolle (Audio)
New York Giants Practice Reports:
- Giants training camp report Day 8: A defense that is fun to watch by Conor Orr of The Star-Ledger
- Practice Report: July 29, 2014 by Patricia Traina of InsideFootball.com
Article on Head Coach Tom Coughlin and QB Eli Manning: Eli Manning on what makes Tom Coughlin a Hall-worthy coach by Steve Serby of The New York Post
Article on Offensive Coordinator Ben McAdoo: New Coach Has Giants Huddling in Hurry, or Not at All by Bill Pennington of The New York Times
Article on QB Eli Manning: NY Giants QB Eli Manning wants a career like Yankees’ Derek Jeter, playing with one team into his 40s by Gary Myers of The New York Daily News
Articles on WR Mario Manningham:
- From glory to avoiding cuts: What does Manningham have left? by Mark Cannizzaro of The New York Post
- Mario Manningham is working to restore his confidence by Tom Rock of Newsday
Article on TE Daniel Fells: Daniel Fells a most unlikely comeback story by Kieran Darcy of ESPNNewYork.com
Article on New York Giants Defensive Tackles:
- The forgotten high draft pick having a ‘good camp’ for Giants by John DeMarzo of The New York Post
- ‘Gumby’ Patterson bends into starting role by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
Article on Head Coach Tom Coughlin and Former Giants DE Michael Strahan: Strahan, Coughlin weren’t always these Hall of Fame allies by Steve Serby of The New York Post
LIVE UPDATES: July 29, 2014 New York Giants Training Camp
Welcome to the sixth ‘Live Update Blog for the 2014′ New York Giants’ training camp. For Tuesday’s (July 29) practice, you won’t need to go anywhere else to find everything you need to know regarding Big Blue!
In the past, your source for breaking news and live updates from practice was featured in a Corner Forum post. While the news eventually got there, there was a delay and some was lost between the transfer of copying tweets and posting over to the forum. Not to mention…it was an awful lot of work.
Below you will find LIVE tweets as they happen. Don’t have a twitter? Don’t worry! They’ll still show up below for you as soon as they are sent out.
BigBlueInteractive.com knows you love the Corner Forum and being able to interact with your fellow Giants’ fans as practice takes place. We want to make that as easy possible for you. Instead of having to keep two windows open (this page and The Corner Forum page), we will open the comment section of this post throughout the duration of practice.
If you would like your photo to appear next to your comments, upload a photo to Gravatar.com.
Interact with fans just as you always have in the comment section, with the tweet-bar directly above. You’ll have your live updates and your interaction all in one place. We hope you enjoy!
- 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. – Players Interviews
- 1:20 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. – Practice
- After Practice – Tom Coughlin available on field
Please Support BigBlueInteractive.com in its 20th Season! The annual BigBlueInteractive.com (BBI) contribution campaign has begun. The continued existence of BBI depends on the voluntary contributions of our readers. For details, please see our contribution page.
In case you missed it, other articles from BBI today:
- July 28, 2014 New York Giants Training Camp Report
- LIVE UPDATES: July 28, 2014 New York Giants Training Camp
- Giants Claim Mark Asper Off Waivers; Terrell Thomas Signs with Seahawks
- Odell Beckham Jr. Absent from Giants’ Practice for Doctor Visit
- Sky’s the Limit for Eli Manning in New Giants’ Offense
- Mario Manningham Closing in on Return of ‘Super Mario’
- Big Blue Breakdown: Remembering Giant’ Legend Chris Snee
July 28, 2014 New York Giants Injury Report: LB Jon Beason (foot – PUP), WR Odell Beckham (hamstring), and TE Xavier Grimble (hamstring) did not practice on Monday. Beckham and Grimble were not in attendance at practice as they were undergoing further medical tests.
“They were in treatment and went over to the doctor,” said Head Coach Tom Coughlin.
July 28, 2014 New York Giants Coach Media Q&As: Transcripts and video of Monday’s press conferences with the following coaches are available at Giants.com:
- Head Coach Tom Coughlin (Video)
- Quarterbacks Coach Danny Langsdorf (Video)
- Tight Ends Coach Kevin M. Gilbride (Video)
July 28, 2014 New York Giants Player Media Q&As: Transcripts and video of Monday’s media Q&A sessions with the following players are available at Giants.com:
- QB Eli Manning (Video)
- WR Victor Cruz (Video)
- WR Mario Manningham (Video)
- OC J.D. Walton (Giants.com Interview Video)
- DT Johnathan Hankins (Video)
- S Antrel Rolle (Video)
7 things we found out during media hour by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
New York Giants Practice Reports:
- Giants practice report Day 7: First fight of training camp by Jordan Raanan of NJ.com
- Coughlin hints at audition plan for Giants preseason opener by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Practice report for 7/28: Eli goes deep, Hyno loses his hat & Cruz waves by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Practice Report: July 28, 2014 by Patricia Traina of InsideFootball.com
Article on New York Giants Training Camp: Giants: Before first full-padded practice, veterans hope for safe summer by Conor Orr of The Star-Ledger
Articles on QB Eli Manning:
- Eli at 70 percent? Don’t count on it by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- For Manning now, it’s all about the feet by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
Article on WR Odell Beckham and CB Prince Amukamara: Prince Amukamara can relate to injured NY Giants rookie Odell Beckham Jr. by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News
Article on the New York Giants Tight Ends: Giants’ TE situation not getting any clearer by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
Article on LT Will Beatty: Giants practice spotlight: Will Beatty has up and down day; leg still an issue? by Jordan Raanan of NJ.com
Articles on DE Robert Ayers:
- New NY Giants defensive end Robert Ayers not worried about replacing Justin Tuck by Ebenezer Samuel of The New York Daily News
- Giants’ Robert Ayers already talking Super Bowl by Zach Braziller of The New York Post
Giants Claim Mark Asper Off Waivers: The New York Giants claimed Mark Asper off of waivers from the Buffalo Bills on Monday. To make room for Asper, the Giants waived offensive tackle DeMarcus Love.
Asper was originally drafted by the Bills in the 6th round of the 2012 NFL Draft. The Bills waived him in August 2012, and he then spent time with the Minnesota Vikings and Jacksonville Jaguars before returning to the Bills in September 2013. In two seasons, Asper has played in seven games with no starts. Asper has very good size and is versatile with experience at tackle, guard, and even some center. However, his height (6’7”) makes it difficult for him to play with leverage at guard and center, and he lacks ideal arm length and overall foot quickness for tackle.
The Giants signed Love as a street free agent in June 2014. Love was originally drafted in the 6th round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings waived him in October 2013 and he was then picked up by the Jacksonville Jaguars, who waived him in June 2014 before the Giants signed him.
Terrell Thomas Signs with Seahawks: The Seattle Seahawks have signed unrestricted free agent cornerback Terrell Thomas to a 1-year contract. Thomas was drafted by the Giants in the 2nd round of the 2008 NFL Draft. After missing 2011 and 2012 with back-to-back ACL tears in his right knee, Thomas finished 2013 with 67 tackles, 1 sack, 7 pass defenses, 1 interception, and 1 forced fumble, primarily serving as the team’s slot corner. He played in all 16 games with seven starts.
The Giants had no interest in re-signing Thomas after signing cornerbacks Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond, and Zack Bowman and re-signing Trumaine McBride in free agency. The Giants also drafted Bennett Jackson in the 6th round of the 2014 NFL Draft.