JUNE 17, 2015 NEW YORK GIANTS MINI-CAMP REPORT…
The second day of the New York Giants three-day mini-camp was held on Wednesday. Like the Organized Team Activity (OTA) practices, no live contact is allowed, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.
INJURY REPORT AND ABSENTEES…
Wide receiver Odell Beckham (hamstring), wide receiver Victor Cruz (recovering from knee surgery), tight end Larry Donnell (Achilles tendinitis, still in walking boot), offensive tackle Will Beatty (recovering from pectoral surgery), and safety Nat Berhe (calf) did not practice.
DE Damontre Moore (recovering from shoulder surgery) and LB Devon Kennard (hamstring) were limited to individual drills.
Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, who has yet to sign his Franchise tender, is skipping the mini-camp.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- First-team defensive line was DE Kerry Wynn, DT Markus Kuhn, DT Johnathan Hankins, and DE Cullen Jenkins.
- Owamagbe Odighizuwa saw reps at left defensive end.
- DE Robert Ayers (ankle) returned to team drills.
- Cooper Taylor and Landon Collins saw snaps at safety with both the first- and second-team units.
- Justin Currie also saw first-team snaps at safety with Landon Collins.
- Ereck Flowers continued to receive first- and second-team reps at left tackle.
- Brandon Mosley continued to see snaps at right tackle with the second-team offensive line. He had a false start during a two-minute drill near the end of practice.
- RB Andre Williams (on a screen) and WR Preston Parker both dropped passes early in practice.
- RB Andre Williams broke off a nice run up the left side. “Running back Andre Williams showed his speed and power on a few good runs.” (Source: Giants.com)
- On a free play where the defense jumped offside, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie made a one-handed interception on an overthrown pass from QB Eli Manning to WR Rueben Randle. (Video)
- TE Jerome Cunningham was active catching the ball.
- WR Rueben Randle turned a short pass into a big gain with some good yards-after-catch elusiveness. (Video)
- QB Ryan Nassib had some accuracy issues, including overthrowing RB Shane Vereen on a screen pass.
- CB Prince Amukamara jumped a route and intercepted QB Ryan Nassib as the pocket was breaking down. (Video)
- LB Uani’ Unga picked off a pass from QB Ryan Nassib.
- DT Dominique Hamilton and OG Eric Herman got into a scuffle.
- WR Corey Washington dropped a touchdown pass on a fade from QB Eli Manning with CB Prince Amukamara in coverage.
- LB J.T. Thomas blitzed and sacked QB Ryan Nassib.
- The defense stopped the offense during the two-minute drill at the end of practice, forcing an incompletion on 4th down.
- Former Giants DT Fred Robbins has been working with the defensive line at mini-camp as a temporary assistant defensive line coach under Steve Spagnuolo, his old defensive coordinator.
- The Giants employed a drone to help film practice. (Giants coaches use drone to film minicamp practice by Michael Eisen of Giants.com)
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
The following video clips of player media Q&As are available at Giants.com:
- OT Ereck Flowers (Video)
- DE Robert Ayers (Video)
- CB Prince Amukamara (Video)
- S Landon Collins (Video)
- CB Prince Amukamara on the team’s safeties: “They have been doing a great job, especially these last couple of days with Cooper [Taylor] and [Landon] Collins and even [Mykkele] Thompson has been getting a lot of plays and [Justin] Currie made a play yesterday, so they have been doing well. I haven’t seen a lot of [mistakes] and they have been making plays on the ball, so I have been applauding them.”
Ereck Flowers says he's getting close to signing a contract. Is a holdout possible for camp? "I don't see it getting to that point."
— Tom Rock (@TomRock_Newsday) June 17, 2015
Jay Bromley's goal this season is to be the most improved player on the team.
— Tom Rock (@TomRock_Newsday) June 17, 2015
- Changes on the offensive line | Giants Day 1 minicamp observations by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Rough day for Ryan Nassib | Giants Day 2 minicamp observations by Nick Powell for NJ.com
- Why Eli Manning is Spagnuolo’s biggest asset in Giants D overhaul by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- Running back Shane Vereen should be great catch for Eli Manning by Bob Glauber of Newsday
- Odell Beckham Jr. (hamstring) irked by idle time, teammates’ jokes by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- Giants WR Victor Cruz feeling as good as new after career-threatening knee injury by Gary Myers of The New York Daily News
- Ereck Flowers, negotiating his own contract, doesn’t see a holdout in his Giants future by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- LT Will Beatty uses own history as motivation for return by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Prince Amukamara aims to join NFL’s cornerback elite by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Giants safety Nat Berhe says watch out for him in training camp by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
— New York Giants (@Giants) June 17, 2015