AUGUST 8, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their ninth summer training camp practice on Monday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
New York Giants defensive tackle Jay Bromley (ankle) and linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring) remain on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform (PUP) List.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Quarterback Eli Manning had a virtually flawless practice, completing most of his pass attempts. He went 6-for-6 in a two minute drill that culminated with a touchdown pass.
- The first-team offense started off with Odell Beckham (wide left) and Victor Cruz (wide right) outside at wide receiver and Sterling Shepard in the slot.
- Wide receiver Odell Beckham also lined up in the backfield in one formation.
- Punter Brad Wing had a strong day with a number of booming punts and punts being downed inside the 10-yard line.
- Quarterback Ryan Nassib hit wide receiver Tavarres King deep for a touchdown, beating cornerback Leon McFadden and safety Mykkele Thompson.
- Quarterback Eli Manning hit wide receiver Odell Beckham for a touchdown against cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who had tight coverage on the play. Manning later found Beckham again for another red zone touchdown between cornerback Janoris Jenkins and safety Landon Collins.
- Linebackers Keenan Robinson and Kelvin Sheppard did a good job of stringing out a running play for no gain. Robinson made a few plays during practice.
- Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie continues to see reps both outside and at slot corner. He had a few pass break ups in 7-on-7 drills. Cornerback Leon Hall also continues to work at the slot corner position.
- Quarterback Ryan Nassib hit wide receiver Roger Lewis with a bomb (against McFadden and Thompson again); Nassib then found running back Bobby Rainey in the flat who ran in for the score.
- Defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa stuffed a pitch play to running back Shane Vereen.
— James Kratch (@JamesKratch) August 8, 2016
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Giants’ overall health in stark contrast to last year’s training camp by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Secretive Ben McAdoo still not divulging Giants’ play call plans by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Eli Manning not showing signs of slowing down at 35: ‘He’s getting better’ by Pat Leonard of The New York Daily News
- Eli Manning unfazed by the pressure to produce by Tom Rock of Newsday
- The positional puzzle that is fullback Nikita Whitlock by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Hall of Famer Michael Irvin says Giants receivers ‘dangerous’ by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Giants still haven’t seen the old Victor Cruz by Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com
- Can Geremy Davis get one of the remaining WR spots with Giants? by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- Larry Donnell saw his ‘scary’ NFL end — but wouldn’t accept it by Zach Braziller of The New York Post
- Technique remains buzzwork with Giants left tackle Ereck Flowers by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Versatile Shane McDermott fishing for a job on Giants’ offensive line by James Kratch for NJ.com
- The fumbled ball lay on the field in JPP’s moment of truth by George Willis of The New York Post
- Owa Odighizuwa excited to show Giants what he can do by Tom Rock of Newsday
- LB Devon Kennard hoping his system will lead to breakout season by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Darian Thompson the clear-cut favorite to start at safety for Giants by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The tenth training camp practice will be held on Tuesday from 10:40AM – 12:55PM. Only three remaining training camp practices at Quest Diagnostics Training Center will be open to the public (weather permitting) this year:
- Tuesday, August 9: 10:40 AM – 12:55 PM
- Wednesday, August 10: 10:40 AM – 12:20 PM
- Sunday, August 14: 11:10 AM – 12:50 PM