J.T. THOMAS ACCEPTS PAY CUT…
ESPN is reporting that New York Giants linebacker J.T. Thomas has accepted a pay cut. His 2017 base salary has been reduced from $2,975,000 to $775,000. He now has a roster bonus of $20,000 and will earn $400,000 in incentives if he plays 70 percent of snaps or more.
Wide receiver Dwayne Harris (upper body soreness), wide receiver Darius Powe (hamstring), wide receiver Kevin Snead (lower body), linebacker Mark Herzlich (stinger), and cornerback Eli Apple (ankle) did not practice.
“(Apple) felt his ankle a little bit, so we were precautionary with it,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo.
“Just got kicked a little bit going against some of the receivers,” said Apple. “It’s kind of bruised up after practice, but it’s not a big deal… I’m not sure (if I will play Monday). I’m just going to take it one day at a time and see what happens.”
“(Herzlich is) progressing,” said McAdoo. “He is not where we want him to be yet to put him back on the field, but he is working through it.”
Running back Shaun Draughn (ankle), linebacker J.T. Thomas (knee), and safety Duke Ihenacho (hamstring) were limited.
“(Thomas) is working through it,” said McAdoo. “Going through individuals, and eventually we will build him up to 7- on-7’s, some special teams work, and then team reps. But right now we are starting slow with him.”
Wide receiver Keeon Johnson left practice early with a lower body injury.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- PK Aldrick Rosas went 3-for-4 on field goal attempts.
- FB Shane Smith was promoted to first-team punt coverage and punt-return special teams units, now working with all four special teams units. He also received first-team reps at fullback.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- LG Justin Pugh (Video)
- CB Eli Apple (Video)
- CB Valentino Blake (Giants.com Insider Video)
- S Nat Berhe (Giants.com Insider Video)
- Sideline View: Practice observations (8/17) by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
- Ben McAdoo has praise for ‘bright spot’ Ereck Flowers | Giants practice report by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Offensive line doubts lead five takeaways from Giants camp by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Giants’ Eli Manning targets four more years in NFL by Ian O’Connor of ESPN.com
- Davis Webb not ruled out for Giants backup job, still long shot by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Geno Smith and Josh Johnson’s struggles opening path for Davis Webb to be backup QB by Pat Leonard of The Daily News
- Brandon Marshall is getting more familiar, thanks in part to pop quizzes by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- This sounds like a new Brandon Marshall by Brett Cyrgalis of The New York Post
- Giants rookie TE Evan Engram breaks down practice film by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- How did Giants left tackle Ereck Flowers fare in practice Tuesday? Watch for yourself by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Ereck Flowers remains serious concern for Giants at left tackle by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Queens native Jay Bromley ready to take on a bigger role with Giants defense by John Healy of The Daily News
- Banged-up Giants linebackers give two rookies chance to impress in practice by John Healy of The Daily News
- Calvin Munson gets unexpected promotion at linebacker by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Eli Apple aims for more physical presence by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Valentino Blake quickly acclimating to Giants secondary by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Smart water bottles, speakers, other ‘cool stuff’ fill training camp swag bags by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The Giants practice on Friday at 11:20AM. The team’s coordinators will also address the press.