MAY 29, 2018 NEW YORK GIANTS OTA PRACTICE REPORT…
The Giants held their fourth voluntary organized team activity (OTA) practice on Tuesday. No live contact is permitted during OTAs, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are allowed.
“OTA 4, you got to watch it, it was a good day for us,” said Head Coach Pat Shurmur. “Coming off a four-day weekend, we had little bit of heat to it. We promised (defensive end Olivier Vernon) this was going to feel like Miami, and it did, finally. It’s always good when you add the elements to it. I told the players that we want to build a gritty team that can overcome the environment, and this is the first they had a little bit of heat and I think it was good, they pushed through it. So, again, just one more step closer to being a good football team. The guys competed well and we’ll get a chance to have two more of these this week.”
The six remaining OTA practices will be held on May 30-31, and June 4-7. There will be media availability for the June 4th practice. A mandatory mini-camp will be held on June 12-14.
INJURY REPORT AND ABSENTEES…
Wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. (recovering from ankle surgery) and cornerback Janoris Jenkins did not attend Tuesday’s OTA. Head Coach Pat Shurmur did say that Beckham was “pretty close” to being cleared to return to practice.
Although he was held out of 11-on-11 team drills, safety Landon Collins (recovering from arm surgery) participated in individual and 7-on-7 drills. “(Collins) was out there competing in a limited basis and he’s trying to do everything he can as he finishes up his rehab,” said Shurmur.
Defensive lineman R.J. McIntosh (unknown medical issue) and linebacker Avery Moss (unknown injury) did not practice.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Place kicker Marshall Koehn was 5-of-7 on field goal attempts, with misses from 41 and 50 yards out.
- The starting defensive line was Dalvin Tomlinson at right end, Damon Harrison at nose tackle, and B.J. Hill at left end.
- First-team offensive line combinations included Nate Solder at left tackle, Patrick Omameh at left guard, Brett Jones at center, John Greco at right guard, and Ereck Flowers at right tackle. The Giants also employed Will Hernandez at left guard, Jon Halapio at center, and Patrick Omameh at right guard.
- John Jerry took reps with second-team at right guard and Chad Wheeler was with the second-team at right tackle.
- Tight end Evan Engram beat linebacker Kareem Martin deep down the sideline and quarterback Eli Manning hit him with a perfect pass for the touchdown.
- Cornerback Eli Apple knocked down a pass over the middle intended for wide receiver Cody Latimer.
- Wide receiver Kalif Raymond made a great catch on a deep pass from quarterback Davis Webb.
- Tackles Nate Solder, Ereck Flowers, and Chad Wheeler worked together after practice was over.
- Notes and observations from OTA practice (5/29) by John Schmeelk
- Who stood out at Giants OTAs? (5/29) by Dan Salomone
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Pat Shurmur learned from all-time coaching greats by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
- Defining Jonathan Stewart’s role alongside Saquon Barkley by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- ‘Self-made’ Sean Chandler at home with Giants after growing up homeless in Camden | ‘Toughest kid I ever coached’ by Ryan Dunleavy for NJ.com
- New Giants safety Michael Thomas master of 1st impression (just ask Tom Brady) by Ryan Dunleavy for NJ.com
- Sources: Giants shake up equipment room after memorabilia settlement by Jordan Raanan and Darren Rovell of ESPN.com
- Sources: Giants expected to hire new equipment head tied to Dave Gettleman by Ryan Dunleavy for NJ.com