JULY 28, 2018 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their third full-team summer training camp practice on Saturday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The complete training camp schedule is available at Giants.com.
Not practicing on Saturday were defensive lineman R.J. McIntosh (unknown – Active/Non-Football Illness list), cornerback Sam Beal (out for the season – shoulder), and tight end Garrett Dickerson (hamstring).
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. made one of his trademark one-handed catches in the corner of the end zone.
- Wide receiver Cody Latimer beat cornerback Eli Apple on a post route for a 40-yard touchdown.
- Quarterback Davis Webb threw a perfect sideline pass to wide receiver Kalif Raymond for a 35-yard gain.
- Andrew Adams was the first-team safety along with Landon Collins.
- Linebacker Olivier Vernon flashed off of the edge against left tackle Nate Solder for what would have been a sack.
- Linebacker Kareem Martin beat tight end Evan Engram for what would have been a sack as well.
- Linebacker Connor Barwin made a tackle for a loss. Barwin and linebacker Lorenzo Carter gave second-team tackles Nick Becton and Chad Wheeler problems.
- Safety Michael Thomas was untouched on a blitz to “sack” quarterback Davis Webb.
- Running back Saquon Barkley caught a low swing pass from quarterback Eli Manning and turned it into a nice gain with some nifty moves after the catch.
- Cornerback Donte Deayon intercepted an underthrown post pass from quarterback Davis Webb, as Webb was being pressured by linebacker Lorenzo Carter. Deayon later broke up another pass.
- Running back Saquon Barkley caught two touchdown passes during 7-on-7 red zone drills. Wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. also had a TD catch during these drills.
- Defensive end Kerry Wynn received some reps with the first-team nickel defense.
- Defensive lineman A.J. Francis was consistently disruptive.
- Linebackers Avery Moss and Romeo Okwara gave the third-team tackles problems.
- Cornerback Janoris Jenkins usually blankets his opponent, but wide receiver Hunter Sharp got some separation on him twice.
- Quarterback Kyle Lauletta threw a deep ball to wide receiver Marquis Bundy, who out-fought cornerback Chris Lewis-Harris for the ball.
- Connor Barwin worked with fellow linebackers Lorenzo Carter, Avery Moss, and Jordan Williams after practice.
— New York Giants (@Giants) July 28, 2018
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Who’s the Giants’ WR creating buzz early in training camp? by Matt Lombardo for NJ.com
- Giants offensive line shows new attitude by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Giants’ Eli Apple is taking first steps in repairing his reputation by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Curtis Riley has a great nickname. He’s got game to be in safety mix, too by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Giants kicker’s biggest challenge is ‘all between the ears’ by Fred Kerber of The New York Post