DALLAS COWBOYS 20 – NEW YORK GIANTS 13…
In a game that was not as close as the final score would indicate, the New York Giants got their asses whipped on Sunday night, falling 20-13 to the Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The Giants may have also suffered a significant injury as starting center Jon Halapio was carted off the field with his right leg in an aircast.
The offense of the Giants was a train wreck:
- The Giants could not run the ball (35 yards on 17 carries, with four of those yards and three of those carries coming from quarterback Eli Manning).
- The Giants could not protect the quarterback as Manning was sacked six times.
- The Giants punted all five times they had the ball in the first half, only picking up a total of six first downs, 79 net yards, and never crossing midfield.
- The Giants began the 3rd quarter by turning the ball over at their own 27-yard line when Manning was sacked and he fumbled the ball away, and leading to a Dallas field goal.
- Down 13-0, the Giants finally entered Dallas territory halfway through the 3rd quarter on an 11-play, 66-yard possession that ended with a 28-yard field goal. The Giants lost nine yards on their next possession in the 4th quarter, at this point only having accrued only 135 net yards.
- The team’s final 108 offensive yards and 10 points came in garbage time, after the team was trailing 20-3 with less than six minutes left to play.
The New York defense only played a little better:
- Dallas scored on a 64-yard passing play on the third play of the game as cornerback Janoris Jenkins and free safety Curtis Riley were badly beaten by wide receiver Tavon Austin.
- The Cowboys went up 10-0 as the Giants’ defense then allowed an 8-play, 64-yard drive on their second possession, resulting in a 37-yard field goal.
- The Cowboys salted the game away in the 4th quarter with a marathon, 14-play, 82-yard drive that ended with a 6-yard touchdown run by running back Ezekiel Elliott.
- The defense finished the night with no sacks, no tackles for a loss, only two pass defenses, and no turnovers.
Video lowlights are available at Giants.com.
INACTIVE LIST AND INJURY REPORT – JON HALAPIO SERIOUSLY INJURED…
Inactive for the New York Giants were linebacker Olivier Vernon (ankle), linebacker Tae Davis (hamstring), quarterback Kyle Lauletta, center Evan Brown, center/guard Spencer Pulley, cornerback Michael Jordan, and safety Kamrin Moore.
Center Jon Halapio left the game with what appeared to be a broken right ankle or leg. Cornerback Eli Apple left the game with a groin injury. Linebacker Kareem Martin and wide receiver/punt returner Kaelin Clay both left the game with an ankle injuries but later returned.
Video clips of post-game media sessions with Head Coach Pat Shurmur and the following players are at Giants.com:
- Head Coach Pat Shurmur (Video)
- QB Eli Manning (Video)
- RB Saquon Barkley (Video)
- WR Odell Beckham, Jr. (Video)
- WR Sterling Shepard (Video)
- LT Nate Solder (Video)
- CB Janoris Jenkins (Video)
- S Landon Collins (Video)
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
Head Coach Pat Shurmur and select players will address the media by conference call on Monday.