WASHINGTON REDSKINS 20 – NEW YORK GIANTS 13…
The New York Giants lost yet another game on Sunday, falling 20-13 to the Washington Redskins at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The Giants are now 1-7 overall.
The Giants have now failed to score 20 points or more in five of their first eight games. And the Giants’ lone touchdown in the game came with 17 seconds left in the contest. How bad was the New York offense?
- Not counting the 1-play “possession” right before halftime, the Giants had 11 possessions. Five ended with punts, two with interceptions, and one was a turnover on downs.
- The Giants only had one drive that picked up more than three first downs.
- The Giants were 2-of-14 on 3rd down (14 percent).
- The Giants were held to 37 net yards rushing.
- Eli Manning was sacked seven times.
- The offense average 4.9 yards per pass play.
- The Giants were 1-of-4 in the red zone (25 percent).
- Most importantly, the team was held to six points until the final seconds of the game.
The defense, minus two players traded earlier in the week (Damon Harrison and Eli Apple), as well as starting middle linebacker Alec Ogletree (hamstring), played better. The defense kept the game close into the 4th quarter. But as has been the case most of the year, when the defense needed to make one more stop late in the game, they could not. After the Giants cut the score to 13-6 with just over four minutes to play, running back Adrian Peterson broke off a 64-yard touchdown run to seal the game.
Offensively, Eli Manning finished the game 30-of-47 for 316 yards, 1 touchdown, and 2 interceptions. He was sacked seven times. His leading targets were running back Saquon Barkley (9 catches for 73 yards) and wide receiver Odell Beckham (8 catches for 136 yards). Barkley was held to 38 yards on 13 carries.
Defensively, the Giants allowed 360 total net yards (182 rushing, 178 passing). The defense did not accrue a sack or interception, but safety Landon Collins did force a fumble that was recovered and returned 43 yards by linebacker Olivier Vernon.
Video lowlights are available at Giants.com.
INACTIVE LIST AND INJURY REPORT…
Inactive for the New York Giants were linebacker Alec Ogletree (hamstring), wide receiver Jawill Davis (concussion), quarterback Kyle Lauletta, center Evan Brown, cornerback Mike Jordan, cornerback Tony Lippett, and safety Kamrin Moore.
Right tackle Chad Wheeler left the game with an ankle injury and did not return.
Transcripts and video clips of post-game media sessions with Head Coach Pat Shurmur and the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Head Coach Pat Shurmur (Video)
- QB Eli Manning (Video)
- RB Saquon Barkley (Video)
- WR Odell Beckham, Jr. (Video)
- TE Evan Engram (Video)
- LT Nate Solder (Video)
- LB Olivier Vernon
- S Landon Collins (Video)
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
Head Coach Pat Shurmur and select players will address the media on Monday.