AUGUST 21, 2020 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP MEDIA PRACTICE NOTES…
Some snippets from various media and team sources:
- The Giants held a full-contact, intra-squad scrimmage on Friday morning.
- In 7-on-7 drills, quarterback Daniel Jones started things off by going 3-of-3 with completions to wide receiver Sterling Shepard and Darius Slayton (twice).
- In 7-on-7 drills, safety Montre Hartage jumped a flat pass by quarterback Colt McCoy and batted it down.
- Wide receiver Alex Bachman drew praise from coaches and teammates.
- The starting offense struggled on the first series of the scrimmage with an incomplete pass, short run by running back Saquon Barkley, and a deflected pass by defensive lineman Dalvin Tomlinson. Then there were two short runs by running back Dion Lewis and a short pass to wide receiver Golden Tate. Quarterback Daniel Jones was 1-of-3. Safety Jabrill Peppers stuffed one of the runs.
- Quarterback Colt McCoy threw a short pass to tight end Eric Tomlinson. This was followed by a nice run by running back Wayne Gallman, who then could not handle a low pass from McCoy. Gallman then had two short runs followed by McCoy overthrowing tight end Kaden Smith.
- Quarterback Cooper Rush threw a short pass to running back Javon Leake. This was followed by short runs by Leake and running back Sandro Platzgummer. Rush then found tight end Garrett Dickerson for a completion.
- Quarterback Daniel Jones threw a pass to running back Saquon Barkley for a 1st down. This was followed by an 8-yard pass to Barkley, who then Barkley ran for a 1st down on 2nd-and-2. Jones threw a screen pass to Barkley who was tackled from behind by defensive lineman Dexter Lawrence. (Both Lawrence and Dalvin Tomlinson were active). Jones then completed a pass to wide receiver David Sills for a 1st down on 3rd-and-7. Jones was 3-of-3 on this series.
- Quarterback Colt McCoy threw a short pass to running back Wayne Gallman, followed by a short run by Gallman on a play where linebacker Tae Crowder smacked the running back. Crowder showed good speed and anticipation on defense. McCoy threw a short pass to wide receiver Alex Bachman and then tight end Kaden Smith.
- Running back Javon Leake with a nice run to pick up a 1st down on 3rd-and-1. Quarterback Alex Tanney threw a short passes to wide receivers Derrick Dillon and C.J. Board. Linebacker T.J. Brunson got a big hit on Board. Tanney’s short pass was then dropped by Dillon, and his next pass to Dillon was behind the receiver.
- Quarterback Daniel Jones’ short pass was knocked down by a defender at the line. Jones threw an incomplete pass to wide receiver Darius Slayton, who was covered by cornerback James Bradberry. Jones completed a short pass to tight end Evan Engram. This was followed by a delay-of-game penalty. Cornerback Darnay Holmes made a leaping interception of a deep pass from Jones intended for wide receiver Golden Tate. However, on Holmes’ return, left tackle Andrew Thomas hit Holmes who fumbled the ball (defense recovered).
- Quarterback Colt McCoy incomplete pass to wide receiver Austin Mack, who was covered by cornerback Grant Haley. Haley then held wide receiver Alex Bachman. McCoy then missed a wide open Mack downfield. He then completed a short pass to wide receiver Binjimen Victor.
- Cornerback Dravon Askew-Henry knocked away two passes from quarterback Alex Tanney intended for wide receiver Tony Brown.
- In the red zone, quarterback Daniel Jones found wide receiver Darius Slayton for a short completion. Running backs Saquon Barkley and Dion Lewis had two short runs. Jones completed a short pass to tight end Evan Engram followed by an incomplete pass intended for wide receiver Golden Tate, and a short pass to Slayton. Place kicker Graham Gano converted on a short-field goal attempt. The Giants moved Gano back twice and he hit both subsequent field goals.
- In the red zone, quarterback Colt McCoy threw a shot pass to wide receiver David Sills. This was followed by two short runs by running back Wayne Gallman and short touchdown pass from McCoy to wide receiver Alex Bachman. The Giants go for the 2-point conversion and McCoy finds wide receiver Austin Mack, who beat cornerback Grant Haley.
- In the red zone, running back Javon Leake ran for a touchdown up the middle. Quarterback Cooper Rush found tight end Garrett Dickerson for a touchdown.
- In the red zone, cornerback James Bradberry knocked away a quarterback Daniel Jones pass intended for wide receiver Sterling Shepard.
- In the red zone, after two Alex Tanney passes to wide receiver C.J. Board and two short runs by running back Javon Leake, place kicker Graham Gano was called upon to kick three field goals again, including two in the 50+ range, which he did successfully.
- Full field. Quarterback Daniel Jones was too high on a long pass intend for tight end Kaden Smith. There were then two short runs by running backs Dion Lewis and Wayne Gallman and an incomplete pass intended for tight end Levine Toilolo. Jones then threw short passes to Smith and wide receiver Golden Tate. Gallman followed this up with a nice run and Jones with a short pass to tight end Garrett Dickerson. Jones threw an intermediate pass to wide receiver Austin Mack, followed by another good run by Gallman. Linebacker Lorenzo Carter then stopped Galllman for a loss. Defensive back Julian Love broke up an endzone pass intended for Tate. Jones finished this long drive with a touchdown pass to Smith on 3rd-and-goal from the 9-yard line. Left tackle Andrew Thomas performed well in pass protection against linebackers Lorenzo Carter and Markus Golden.
- Full field. Quarterback Colt McCoy completes short passes to wide receiver Alex Bachman and running back Javon Leake. Leake stopped by safety Montre Hartage on a short run. Wide receiver Tony Brown dropped a pass, followed by a short pass to Backhman. Leake breaks a long run. McCoy finds wide receiver Binjimen Victor for a completion then throws the ball away and throws behind wide receiver C.J. Board. Possession ends with short pass to Leake.
- Half field. Quarterback Colt McCoy throws to wide receiver Tony Brown and tight end Rysen John, the latter making a diving catch. McCoy finds tight end Garrett Dickerson on a run-and-catch touchdown.
- Half field. Quarterback Daniel Jones throws passes to wide receivers Golden Tate and David Sills. After an offside penalty, Jones’ short pass to running back Wayne Gallman is dropped. Jones then hits Sills on a long touchdown against cornerback James Bradberry, who was expecting help from safety Jabrill Peppers (Peppers cramped up on this play).
- Half field. After a short run by running back Javon Leake, quarterback Colt McCoy threw short passes to tight end Eric Tomlinson and Leake. Wide receiver Binjimen Victor then made a diving catch. Tomlinson finished up the drive and practice with a spinning touchdown reception.
Wide receiver Corey Coleman (coming off of an ACL injury), linebacker Ryan Connelly (coming off of an ACL injury), and safety Xavier McKinney (unknown) did not practice.
“We just thought they had a really strong load, and we’re looking to really build into next Friday,” said Head Coach Joe Judge after practice. “Based on what they did the rest of the week, and those guys carried a heavy load for the team throughout practices, we thought it was best to just go ahead and rest them.”
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
NBC4 NEW YORK TO TELEVISE NEXT TWO SCRIMMAGES…
The New York Giants and NBC4 New York have announced that the next two intra-squad scrimmages will be televised on a one-day tape delay, airing Saturday, August 29th at 6:00PM and Friday, September 4th at 7:00PM. The scrimmages will also be available on Giants.com, the Giants Mobile App, and on the Giants YouTube page. Unfortunately, the scrimmage feeds will be edited and only run for one hour each.
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The players are off on Saturday and return to practice on Sunday.