SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS 36 – NEW YORK GIANTS 9…
The once-proud New York Football Giants got utterly humiliated by an injury-riddled San Francisco 49ers team that was missing many of its most important starters on both sides of the football on Sunday afternoon at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The Giants were crushed 36-9 in an uncompetitive game and fell to 0-3 on the season.
Despite the game being tied 6-6 near the midway point of the 2nd quarter, the beat-down was complete. The 49ers out-gained the Giants in first downs (29 to 13), offensive plays (73 to 49), total net yards (420 to 231), net yards rushing (93 to 66), net yards passing (327 to 165), and time of possession (39:44 to 20:16). The 49ers were 8-of-12 (67 percent) on 3rd down conversions. The Giants turned the ball over three times and did not force a turnover. Most embarrassing of all, the 49ers never punted. And the Giants never ran a play inside the 49er redzone.
- 10 plays, 41 yards, field goal
- 12 plays, 28 yards, field goal
- 9 plays, 38 yards, missed field goal
- 12 plays, 75 yards, touchdown
- 4 plays, 24 yards, field goal
- 8 plays, 75 yards, touchdown
- 4 plays, 30 yards, touchdown
- 15 plays, 92 yards, touchdown
- 3 plays, end of game
- 6 plays, 28 yards, fumble
- 7 plays, 41 yards, field goal
- 6 plays 31 yards, field goal
- 2 plays, 0 yards, interception
- 13 plays, 53 yards, field goal
- 5 plays, 9 yards, turnover on downs
- 6 plays, 13 yards, punt
- 7 plays, 56 yards, fumble
Quarterback Daniel Jones was 17-of-32 for 179 yards, 0 touchdowns, and 1 interception. No Giants receiver had more than 53 yards. Jones was the team’s leading rusher with 49 yards. The running backs carried the ball 10 times for 17 yards.
Defensively, the Giants did not create a turnover. Defensive lineman Leonard Williams and linebacker Blake Martinez each had sacks. Cornerback James Bradberry broke up three passes.
Video lowlights are available on Giants.com.
PRACTICE SQUAD ACTIVATIONS, INACTIVES, AND INJURY REPORT…
The Giants activated WR Johnny Holton from the Practice Squad.
Inactive for the game were TE Eric Tomlinson, OT Jackson Barton, DE R.J. McIntosh, LB T.J. Brunson, CB Brandon Williams (groin), and S Adrian Colbert (quad).
S Jabrill Peppers (ankle) left the game in the 1st quarter and did not return. LT Andrew Thomas (unknown) left the game late, but returned.
Transcripts and video clips of post-game media sessions with Head Coach Joe Judge and the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Head Coach Joe Judge (Video)
- QB Daniel Jones (Video)
- TE Evan Engram (Video)
- DE Leonard Williams (Video)
- LB Blake Martinez (Video)
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
Head Coach Joe Judge and select players will address the media by conference call on Monday.