[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
MAY 21, 2018 NEW YORK GIANTS OTA PRACTICE REPORT…
The Giants held their first voluntary organized team activity (OTA) practice on Monday. No live contact is permitted during OTAs, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are allowed.
“All right, OTA No. 1 is in the books,” said Head Coach Pat Shurmur. “It was a pretty good day. I thought they competed well. There were some good and bad plays on both sides of the ball and I think what’s important to see is that they competed, they challenged one another and I think we got one OTA better and now the challenge is anytime that you leave the practice field, their thoughts need to drift toward recovery, so certainly we can come out tomorrow, have OTA No. 2 and get one more OTA better. So, it’s a good day, a nice, sunny day – a good day for football and the guys competed well.”
The nine remaining OTA practices will be held on May 22, May 24, May 29-31, and June 4-7. There will be media availability for the May 29 and June 4 practices. A mandatory mini-camp will be held on June 12-14.
INJURY REPORT AND ABSENTEES…
Wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. (recovering from ankle surgery) did not practice, but he did move around well during warm-up and individual drills. Safety Landon Collins (recovering from arm surgery) was present, but did not participate in drills.
“(Beckham) looks good,” said Head Coach Pat Shurmur. “He’s out here moving around, he’s champing at the bit wanting to get out and do more than we’re allowing him to do at this point. But I think we’re just trying to make sure that everything is healed to the fullest before we put him out there. He looks good.”
Defensive tackle Damon Harrison was absent. “He’s been here a little bit, but I know he’s not here and I know why he’s not here,” said Shurmur. “I will just leave it at that.”
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Running back Saquon Barkley was “abusing” linebacker Tae Davis in 1-on-1 pass coverage drills.
- First-team offensive line was right tackle Ereck Flowers, right guard John Greco, center Brett Jones, left guard Patrick Omameh, and left tackle Nate Solder.
- Will Hernandez took reps at left tackle and left guard with the second-team offensive line. He also received work with the first-team line.
- Linebacker B.J. Goodson tipped a quarterback Eli Manning pass to himself for an interception.
- Safety Sean Chandler intercepted a pass cornerback Tim Scott tipped from quarterback Alex Tanney.
- Quarterback Davis Webb completed two long passes, including an impressive touchdown strike to wide receiver Roger Lewis, Jr.
- Will Hernandez and B.J. Goodson got into a little scuffle after a play.
- Linebacker Mark Herzlich batted down a pass at the line and made a play in coverage near the sidelines.
- Tackles Ereck Flowers and Nate Solder did some some extra 1-on-1 work after practice.
- The last players off of the field were quarterback Kyle Lauetta, running back Saquon Barkley, and wide receiver Jawill Davis.
Practice has ended. Nate Solder takes Ereck Flowers off to the side and the two offensive tackles do some extra work. pic.twitter.com/QM8I3AxIIP
— Paul Schwartz (@NYPost_Schwartz) May 21, 2018
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS SIGN JAY BROMLEY…
The New Orleans Saints have signed New York Giants unrestricted free agent defensive tackle Jay Bromley, was originally drafted in the 3rd round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the Giants. He has played in 55 regular-season games with just four starts. For a complete listing of comings and goings, see our New York Giants 2018 Free Agency Scorecard.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- RB Saquon Barkley (Video)
- RB Jonathan Stewart (Video)
- OG Patrick Omameh (Video)
- CB Eli Apple (Video)
NEW YORK POST Q&A WITH ALEC OGLETREE…
Alec Ogletree wants to have a record-setting year with Giants by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- Giants hope this is the roster that leads to turnaround by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Kyle Lauletta could be crucial to Giants’ Saquon Barkley gamble by Judy Battista of NFL.com
- Saquon Barkley opens up about relationship with Odell Beckham: ‘We talked Giants drafting me into existence’ by Matt Lombardo for NJ.com
- Saquon Barkley’s devastating potential broken down by Penn State QB by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- Odell Beckham’s doing everything this spring for new contract by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Will Hernandez could be the Giants’ next Chris Snee by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Giants’ moves put them all-in with Eli Apple’s second chance by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Ex-Giant refuses to let sordid past define him any longer by George Willis of The New York Post