AUGUST 14, 2018 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
While the last official training camp practice for the New York Giants was held on August 7th, the team is holding joint public practices with the Detroit Lions on August 14-16.
Not practicing on Tuesday due to injury were wide running back Saquon Barkley (hamstring), receiver Travis Rudolph (quad), tight end Ryan O’Malley (ankle), defensive end R.J. McIntosh (unknown – Active/Non-Football Illness list), linebacker Connor Barwin (“soreness”), linebacker Thurston Armbrister (hamstring), cornerback Donte Deayon (hamstring), and safety Darian Thompson (hamstring).
“(Barkley) just tweaked his hamstring (on Monday during practice),” said Head Coach Pat Shurmur. “(It’s) day to day, we’ll just see where he’s at, but really nothing to add from yesterday. Nothing serious, I think. Just day to day.”
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Curtis Riley remained the first-team free safety.
- Quarterback Eli Manning connected on a deep ball with wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr., who blew past Lions’ cornerback Chris Jones.
- Wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. made a sharp cut against Lions’ cornerback Darius Slay for a catch over the middle. Beckham later beat Slay again in 7-on-7 drills and scored.
- Quarterback Davis Webb badly overthrew wideout Hunter Sharp in the flat.
- Running back Wayne Gallman burst through the line, made a nice cut, and got to the second level of the defense. Left guard Will Hernandez had a nice block on defensive end Ziggy Ansah on the play.
- Cornerback B.W. Webb and wide receiver Kalif Raymond did a nice job as gunners on punt returns.
- Quarterback Eli Manning overthrew wideout Cody Latimer in the end zone. Latimer made a one-handed catch by was ruled out of bounds.
- Linebackers Olivier Vernon and Avery Moss were the Giants’ most disruptive pass rushers.
- Defensive linemen Robert Thomas and B.J. Hill flashed.
- The Giants’ offensive line did a good job of keeping the quarterbacks clean throughout practice.
- In 7-on-7 redzone drills, quarterback Eli Manning was 4-of-5 with three touchdowns.
- In 11-on-11 drills, quarterback Eli Manning stepped up into the pocket and fired a pass to wide receiver Sterling Shepard over the middle on a post pattern. Manning finished 5-of-5 to five different receivers in this team drill.
- In 2-minute drills, cornerback Eli Apple leapt up and knocked away a pass intended for wide receiver Marvin Jones in the end zone. But then quarterback Matthew Stafford found Jones for a touchdown against Apple and over safety Landon Collins.
- In 2-minute drills, wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. made a leaping catch over corner back Nevin Lawson. But then the Giants’ possession ended with quarterback Eli Manning being intercepted by safety Glover Quinn.
— New York Giants (@Giants) August 14, 2018
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- RB Wayne Gallman (Video)
- TE Evan Engram (Video)
- LG Will Hernandez (Video)
- LB Alec Ogletree (Video)
- LB Connor Barwin (Video)
- S Curtis Riley (Video)
- Wayne Gallman earns more reps, catches coaches’ eye by Giants.com
- Odell Beckham’s first real test of camp couldn’t have gone better by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- This Giants player thought about retirement, but now he could change the makeup of the roster by Ryan Dunleavy for NJ.com
- For 1 Giants player, practices vs. Lions means returning to site of career-changing injury by Ryan Dunleavy for NJ.com
- Giants’ Andrew Adams fighting to win starting safety job, shed ‘undrafted’ label by Matt Lombardo for NJ.com
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The Giants will practice against the Detroit Lions in Michigan on Wednesday and Thursday (open to public).