NEW YORK GIANTS 2016 SCHEDULE RELEASED…
The New York Giants 2016 regular-season schedule has been released. The schedule includes five prime time games: two Monday nights (at Minnesota, home vs. Cincinnati), two Sunday nights (at Green Bay, home against Dallas), and a late-season Thursday night game in Philadelphia. It is the fourth time in five seasons the Giants will open against the Cowboys.
The Giants will play six games against 2015 playoff teams: Washington (2), Minnesota, Green Bay, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.
- Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 11 – at Dallas Cowboys, 4:25 p.m.
- Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 18 – vs. New Orleans Saints, 1:00 p.m.
- Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 25 – vs. Washington Redskins, 1:00 p.m.
- Week 4: Monday, Oct. 3 – at Minnesota Vikings, 8:30 p.m.
- Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 9 – at Green Bay Packers, 8:30 p.m.*
- Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 16 – vs. Baltimore Ravens, 1:00 p.m.*
- Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 23 – at Los Angeles Rams (London), 9:30 a.m.
- Week 8: BYE WEEK
- Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 6 – vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 1:00 p.m.*
- Week 10: Monday, Nov. 14 – vs. Cincinnati Bengals, 8:30 p.m.
- Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 20 – vs. Chicago Bears, 1:00 p.m.*
- Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 27 – at Cleveland Browns, 1:00 p.m.*
- Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 4 – at Pittsburgh Steelers, 4:25 p.m.*
- Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 11 – vs. Dallas Cowboys, 8:30 p.m.*
- Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 18 – vs. Detroit Lions, 1:00 p.m.*
- Week 16: Thursday, Dec. 22 – at Philadelphia Eagles, 8:25 p.m.
- Week 17: Sunday, Jan. 1 – at Washington Redskins, 1:00 p.m.*
* Subject to flexible scheduling.
“It’s an exciting time in the offseason with the schedule being released,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo. “We’re certainly going to take them one at a time. But playing the AFC North and the NFC North, two divisions that are very competitive, not to mention the NFC East, will be a huge challenge for us.
“It’s a great opportunity opening the season at Dallas. All of us in the building are looking forward to it.
“The bye comes at a perfect time, around the mid-point of the season, and after a trip to London, – which is a tremendous opportunity, and exciting for us. It’s good for the league, and it’s good for the Giants and the Rams to play overseas. The bye coming right after it, followed by three home games vs. three good opponents in a row will be exciting for us, especially with the Monday night game against Cincinnati.”
BRAD WING SIGNS EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TENDER…
New York Giants punter Brad Wing has signed his 1-year exclusive rights free agent tender.
The Giants acquired Wing from the Pittsburgh Steelers by trade for a conditional 7th-round draft pick in September 2015, replacing the popular-but-declining Steve Weatherford. Wing responded with a strong season, averaging 44.5 yards per punt (38.9 net). He had 33 kicks downed inside the 20-yard line, tying a team single-season record.
An Australian, the left-footed Wing was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Philadelphia Eagles after the 2013 NFL Draft. He did not make the team but he made the Steelers roster in 2014. Wing combines a strong leg with good directional placement skills. He also holds for both field goals and place kicks.
All of the team’s exclusive rights free agents are now signed. Tight end Larry Donnell is the only unsigned restricted free agent.
JOHN MARA SAYS IT’S TIME TO PICK IT UP…
New York Giants President and CEO John Mara spoke briefly with reporters on Wednesday.
“Every draft is important, but I would say this one moreso than usual,” Mara said. “Because we’re picking so high, and because we’re coming off of three-and-a-half losing years. It’s time to pick it up. We spent all this money in free agency, I think we got better, but we’re still not there. We need some impact players coming out of this draft.”
Speaking about the upcoming NFL Draft (April 28-30), Mara said, “If the coach and GM agree on the pick, chances are I’m not going to have anything to say about it. If there seems to be some disagreement in the room, maybe with some scouts or whomever, then that might be something I want to (get involved with). But a lot of times, they work those things ahead of time.”
GIANTS.COM INTERVIEW WITH JOHNATHAN HANKINS…
The video of an exclusive interview with New York Giants defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins is available at Giants.com.
- Picking up Justin Pugh’s fifth-year option will be no-brainer for Giants by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- Why Eli is calling on Odell Beckham to step it up even more by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Giants dig deep into NFL Draft’s top safeties, including Karl Joseph and Vonn Bell by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Titans-Rams trade for No. 1 pick a huge win for Giants (and Dallas Cowboys) by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
#Giants have 72 of the 90 players under contract as of this a.m. Remaining cap space per NFLPA records: $22,613,550
— Art Stapleton (@art_stapleton) April 13, 2016