Giants Sign Safety Stevie Brown, Cut Linebacker Victor Butler: The New York Giants have officially signed safety Stevie Brown, who was released by the Houston Texans last week. To make room for Brown, the Giants terminated the contract of linebacker Victor Butler.
Brown was with the Giants from 2012-14, although he missed the entire 2013 season with an ACL tear. An unrestricted free agent this past offseason, Brown signed a 1-year, $3 million deal with the Texans in late April.
“Pretty exciting just being able to come back here – seems like a position of need and it is a good fit (so) definitely exciting to come back,” said Brown.
Brown played in all 16 games for the Giants in 2014. He started the first three games of the season, lost his starting job for eight weeks to Quintin Demps, then regained it for the last five weeks of the season. Brown finished with 38 tackles, one sack, and one pass defense. He suffered a Lisfranc injury in the 2014 regular-season finale.
— New York Giants (@Giants) August 31, 2015
The Giants signed Victor Butler to a Reserve/Future contract in January 2015. Butler was originally drafted in the 4th round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys. Since then, he has spent time with the Cowboys (2009-12), Saints (2013), Cardinals (2014), and Colts (2014). Had he made the team, Butler would have been suspended for four games for violating the League’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs).
August 31, 2015 New York Giants Injury Report: Not practicing due to injuries were WR Victor Cruz (calf), RT Bobby Hart (knee), LT Will Beatty (pectoral – on PUP), DE Robert Ayers (ankle), LB Jon Beason (knee), CB Josh Gordy (hip), CB Chykie Brown (knee), CB Chandler Fenner (hamstring), and S Nat Berhe (calf).
“They haven’t cleared me just yet,” said Cruz. “I think we’re just being careful, cautious with it. Especially, you don’t want to come out here, and calves are tricky. Once they feel healed and once they feel okay, you can go out here and mess it up again. So you want to make sure that it’s fully healed and fully recovered once you step back out there on the field…We’re still working with the training staff to continue to get the swelling down and continue to get myself back to 100 percent.”
“I haven’t been able to jog,” said Cruz. “Not that I haven’t been able to, but they don’t want me to right now. They just want me to sit down and let it heal, let it repair itself and things like that. I’ve just been working out – lower body one leg or whatever the case may be, upper body. Just doing all the things I can to stay in shape.”
“Nothing has been set in stone, in terms of playing that first week or not playing that first week,” said Cruz. “I’m still excited for Week 1 – that’s still the goal, that’s still the plan, in my opinion. Obviously, the training staff will advise if they see differently as the next week and a half comes along. But we’ll see. So, I’m just taking it one day at a time, and making sure that I’m ready to go.”
“I’ll be alright,” said Ayers. “Right now, just trying to manage things and keep things on the up and up and get better. I’ll be alright. As far as what happened, that’s a tricky question that’d I’d rather not try to get into. But I’ll be alright…We’re just taking it day-to-day.”
OC Weston Richburg (knee), LB Jonathan Casillas (neck), LB Mark Herzlich (concussion), and DE George Selvie (knee) returned to practice.
S Jeromy Miles left practice early with a groin injury.
August 31, 2015 New York Giants Practice Notes: Some snippets from various media sources:
- The first-team safeties were Landon Collins and Cooper Taylor.
- The first-team offensive line had Geoff Schwartz at right guard in place of John Jerry.
- Tight end Jerome Cunningham caught a touchdown pass against the second-team defense.
- The first-team defensive line was defensive end Kerry Wynn, defensive tackle Markus Kuhn, defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins, and defensive end Cullen Jenkins. Defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis also received first-team reps in place of Kuhn.
- Quarterback Eli Manning overthrew open wide receivers Odell Beckham and Geremy Davis.
- Tight end Will Tye made a one-handed reception.
- Quarterback Eli Manning made a nice throw on the run to tight end Larry Donnell.
- Linebacker Unai’ Unga, who saw first-team reps as the nickel linebacker, made a leaping interception of a pass from quarterback Ricky Stanzi.
- Wide receiver Dwayne Harris scored on a touchdown pass from quarterback Eli Manning, and then Harris scored on an end around.
August 31, 2015 Player Media Q&As: Transcripts and video of media sessions with the following players are available on BigBlueInteractive.com:
— New York Giants (@Giants) August 31, 2015
Articles on the 2015 New York Giants:
- There’s absolutely nothing good to say about Giants’ preseason by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- New York Giants season preview: Holes on defense by Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com
Article on WR Geremy Davis: Giants rookie trying to not ‘over-think’ the camp process by Jeremy Davis for The New York Post
Article on DT Cullen Jenkins: Defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins says Giants need ‘more of a killer instinct’ by James Kratch for NJ.com