[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
GIANTS WAIVE/INJURED MATT SMALLEY…
The New York Giants have waived/injured cornerback Matt Smalley, who dislocated his shoulder in practice earlier this week. The Giants signed Smalley as a rookie free agent after he impressed as a tryout player during the May mini-camp.
NEW YORK GIANTS INJURY REPORT…
New York Giants linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring) remains on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform (PUP) List.
Wide receiver Victor Cruz (groin), wide receiver Geremy Davis (hamstring), tight end Will Johnson (burner), left guard Justin Pugh (shoulder), defensive end Kerry Wynn (groin), cornerback Eli Apple (strained leg muscle), and cornerback Leon McFadden (bruised lower leg) did not practice.
“(Pugh is) making some progress,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo.
AUGUST 18, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS PRACTICE REPORT…
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Bobby Hart continued to work with the first-team at left guard in place of the injured Justin Pugh.
- Wide receiver Kadron Boone caught a deep pass from quarterback Logan Thomas.
- Bennett Jackson and newly-signed Joe Powell served as the third-team cornerback tandem.
- Jasper Brinkley worked with the first-team at middle linebacker; Keenan Robinson received first-team snaps at linebacker with the nickel defense.
- The first-team wide receivers were Odell Beckham, Sterling Sheppard, and Tavarres King in some sets. Myles White also worked with Beckham and Sheppard.
- Cornerback Janoris Jenkins intercepted quarterback Ryan Nassib off of a bobbled attempted catch by wide receiver Darius Powe, but Jenkins was flagged for holding on the play. (VIDEO)
- Under pressure, quarterback Logan Thomas hit wide receiver Tavarres King deep for a touchdown against double coverage.
- Quarterback Logan Thomas hit tight end Jerell Adams down the left sideline.
- Linebacker Jasper Brinkley intercepted quarterback Ryan Nassib on the goal line during 7-on-7 drills.
- Wide receiver Anthony Dable continues to improve, adjusting well to the football.
- The first-team dime defense included defensive linemen Jason Pierre-Paul, Owamagbe Odighizuwa, and Olivier Vernon; linebackers Keenan Robinson and Jonathan Casillas; and defensive backs Janoris Jenkins, Trevin Wade, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Darian Thompson, Leon Hall, and Landon Collins.
— New York Giants (@Giants) August 18, 2016
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Ryan Nassib looks for bounce-back game after bad-bounce start by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Why the Giants should keep Victor Cruz, either as player or coach by Pat Leonard of The Daily News
- Suspension for Giants kicker Josh Brown stems from 2015 domestic violence charge by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Josh Brown’s scouting report on Tom Obarski, the Giants’ likely Week 1 kicker by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- Why Giants long-time snapper Zak DeOssie is in a fight for job by George Willis of The New York Post
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
There is no media availability on Friday as the team will be traveling to Buffalo for Saturday’s preseason game against the Bills.