AUGUST 13, 2017 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their twelfth summer training camp practice on Sunday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Running back Shaun Draughn (ankle) and linebacker J.T. Thomas (knee) remain on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform (PUP) List. “(Draughn is) getting close,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo. “(Thomas is) getting close.”
Wide receiver Tavarres King (ankle), wide receiver Kevin Snead (lower body), tight end Colin Thompson (appendectomy on Saturday), safety Duke Ihenacho (hamstring), and safety Ryan Murphy (lower body) did not practice.
Defensive tackle Robert Thomas (soreness) and linebacker Mark Herzlich (stinger) returned to practice. Thomas was limited. Linebacker Keenan Robinson (concussion protocol) participated in non-contact drills.
Wide receiver Sterling Shepard (ankle) fully practiced. “They cut me loose today, so I am back to doing what I do,” Shepard said. “I have been doing stuff leading up to this, so I felt like I was ready for a full practice.”
Wide receiver Kevin Norwood (hip) was carted off of the field during practice.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- Geno Smith was the #2 quarterback at practice on Sunday.
- TE Matt LaCosse made a leaping sideline reception on a pass from QB Josh Johnson.
- WR Brandon Marshall made a very nice reception in the left corner of the end zone despite tight coverage from CB Michael Hunter. But Marshall was ruled out-of-bounds.
- WR Odell Beckham, Jr. dropped a slant pass. He then made a superb 1-handed touchdown catch on a pass from QB Eli Manning, but Manning would have been sacked on the play by DE Olivier Vernon who got past LT Ereck Flowers.
- CB Donte Deayon picked off QB Eli Manning’s pass intended for WR Sterling Shepard during the 2-minute drill.
- QB Geno Smith threw a long seam pass to WR Dwayne Harris between CB Valentino Blake and S Andrew Adams. The 2-minute drive ended inside the 10-yard line with Adams knocking the ball incomplete on diving reception attempt by TE Matt LaCosse.
- Against a busted coverage, QB Josh Johnson hit TE Matt LaCosse on a slant for a long touchdown.
- PK Mike Nugent was only 2-for-4 on short-field goal attempts.
— New York Giants (@Giants) August 13, 2017
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Sideline View: Practice observations (8/13) by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
- 3 standout players at Training Camp (8/13) by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
- Giants coach Ben McAdoo calls QB Eli Manning ‘a little bit rusty’ | Practice report by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- Analyzing the Giants’ offensive performance in preseason opener by Pat Leonard of The Daily News
- Evaluating the Giants’ defense in preseason loss to Steelers by Pat Leonard of The Daily News
- Rhett Ellison, Paul Perkins noticed for different reasons in opener by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Jay Bromley, Dalvin Tomlinson have ‘leg up’ in defensive tackle competition by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- 7 under-the-radar Giants who boosted their stock in preseason opener by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- First glimpse should build on excitement for Giants defense by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Jay Bromley makes significant strides, in mix to start for Giants by Tom Rock of Newsday
- DT Jay Bromley making most of opportunity to start by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The thirteenth and final public training camp practice will be held on Monday, starting at 10:55AM. The training camp schedule is available at Giants.com.