[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
The New York Giants have hired Steve Spagnuolo as the team’s new defensive coordinator. Spagnuolo replaces Perry Fewell who was fired by the Giants on January 7th. Spagnulo was an assistant head coach and defensive backs coach for the Baltimore Ravens in 2014. He was the Giants’ defensive coordinator in 2007-08 before becoming the head coach of the St. Louis Rams in 2009.
The Giants’ defense was ranked 7th (2007) and 5th (2008) the two years Spagnuolo was with the team.
“We spoke to a lot of very good candidates,” said Head Coach Tom Coughlin. “The energy, enthusiasm and strong personality that we saw before in Steve Spagnuolo, all of that was very evident again. His desire to be a Giant again was very, very obvious.
“Steve has so much enthusiasm in front of the room. His defense has changed since he was last here. He worked in Baltimore with John Harbaugh and Dean Pees, and they are outstanding defensive coaches. He has studied defenses. Steve visited colleges and talked to college coaches, including Urban Meyer (coach of national champion Ohio State) to learn how to defend the spread offenses that have become so popular.”
“Maria (his wife) and I are very happy to be returning to the Giants,” Spagnuolo said. “This is both new and familiar at the same time. I was hoping to take the next step, God willing, and be a coordinator again. I’m ecstatic that it’s with Tom Coughlin. Tom is the highest character guy I know. The feeling I have is one of excitement. We’re going to work our butts off, and hopefully we will do great things together.”
Spagnuolo fondly remembers the 2007 season that resulted in an NFL Championship for the Giants.
“That really was a special time,” Spagnuolo said. “What I remember most are the relationships we made with the players and coaches and everyone else in the organization. We’ve always felt like the Giants are a big part of our lives.”
Spagnuolo’s coaching bio:
- 2014: Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Backs Coach, Baltimore Ravens
- 2013: Senior Defensive Assistant, Baltimore Ravens
- 2012: Defensive Coordinator, New Orleans Saints
- 2009-2011: Head Coach, St. Louis Rams
- 2007-2008: Defensive Coordinator, New York Giants
- 2004-2006: Linebackers Coach, Philadelphia Eagles
- 2001-2003: Defensive Backs Coach, Philadelphia Eagles
- 1999-2000: Defensive Assistant/Quality Control Coach, Philadelphia Eagles
- 1998: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach, Frankfurt Galaxy
- 1996-1997: Defensive Backs Coach, Bowling Green State University
- 1994-1995: Defensive Backs Coach, Rutgers University
- 1994: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach, University of Maine
- 1993: Defensive Backs Coach, University of Maine
- 1992: Defensive Line/Special Teams Coach, Barcelona Dragons
- 1990-1991: Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs Coach, University of Connecticut
- 1987-1989: Defensive Backs Coach, University of Connecticut
- 1984-1986: Defensive Line/Special Teams Coach, Lafayette College
- 1983: Player Personnel Department Intern, Washington Redskins
- 1981-1982: Graduate Assistant, University of Massachusetts
Spagnuolo was one of four candidates interviewed for the position. The others were Washington Redskins Defensive Backs Coach Raheem Morris, ex-Buffalo Bills Defensive Line Coach Pepper Johnson, and ex-Oakland Raiders Head Coach Dennis Allen.
The Giants also confirmed that they have hired Tim Walton as the team’s new cornerbacks coach, replacing Peter Giunta who was also fired on January 7th. Walton was the defensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams under Head Coach Jeff Fisher in 2013. He was replaced by Gregg Williams in 2014.
Walton’s coaching bio:
- 2013: Defensive Coordinator, St. Louis Rams
- 2009-2012: Defensive Backs Coach, Detroit Lions
- 2008: Defensive Coordinator, University of Memphis
- 2007: Defensive Coordinator, University of Miami
- 2004-2006: Defensive Backs Coach, University of Miami
- 2003: Defensive Backs Coach, Louisiana State University
- 2002: Defensive Backs Coach, Syracuse University
- 2000-2001: Defensive Backs Coach, University of Memphis
- 1999: Defensive Backs Coach, Bowling Green State University
- 1996-1998: Running Backs Coach, Bowling Green State University
- 1995: Graduate Assistant, Bowling Green State University
A complete listing of the team’s staff is available in the New York Giants Coaching Staff section of the website.
Article on New York Giants Defensive Coordinator Candidate Pepper Johnson: Frustrated Pepper Johnson denied again as Tom Coughlin, Giants look elsewhere for a new defensive coordinator by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News
Article on Former Giants Head Coach Bill Parcells: Giants were seconds away from bringing Bill Parcells back in 1997 by Dan Salomone of Giants.com