With the third day of the negotiating period when teams can talk to free agents on other teams nearing completion, here is the latest news on the free agent front for the New York Giants:
- The NFL Network is reporting that the Giants are showing “significant interest” in unrestricted free agent running back Shane Vereen (New England Patriots). The 26-year old Vereen (5’10”, 205 lbs) carried the ball 96 times for 391 yards and caught 52 passes for 447 yards in 2014.
- According to press reports, middle linebacker Jon Beason has indeed agreed to re-structure his contract in order to create more salary-cap space for the team. Beason was about to enter the second year of a 3-year, $17 million contract that he signed with the Giants last offseason. According to NJ.com, Beason’s new deal cut his total compensation in 2015 from $5.825 million to $3.7 million, which can only be earned in full on a conditional basis such as playing time incentives.
- Unrestricted free agent linebacker Jacquian Williams (New York Giants) tweeted that five teams have expressed an interest in his services. The Giants are not believed to be one of those teams.
- Newsday continues to report that the Giants are interested in unrestricted free agent safeties Rahim Moore (Denver Broncos) and Ron Parker (Kansas City Chiefs).
- The Giants reportedly made a big push to sign unrestricted free agent defensive end/linebacker Brandon Graham (Philadelphia Eagles), but the Eagles re-signed Graham to a 4-year, $26 million contract with $14 million in guaranteed money. According to The New York Daily News: “That wasn’t completely unexpected by the Giants, according to a source, and it hasn’t stopped them from making calls on some of the top free agents. But their plan is to set a price and not exceed it, and so far the final prices all have.”
- Unrestricted free agent defensive end/linebacker Pernell McPhee (Baltimore Ravens), who the Giants has reportedly expressed interest in, agreed to a 5-year, $40 million contract ($16 million guaranteed) with the Chicago Bears.
Teams can officially sign players from other teams at 4:00PM ET on Tuesday, March 10.
Giants are looking for a versatile RB, and to that end have shown significant interest in New England's Shane Vereen.
— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) March 10, 2015
Got 5 teams interested. Need to weigh my options.
— Jacquian Williams (@Jacquian57) March 9, 2015