Giants Trounce Panthers 36-7: The New York Giants defeated the Carolina Panthers 36-7 on Thursday night at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina.
The Giants scored on eight of their 10 offensive possessions, including three touchdowns and five field goals:
- 1st Drive: 8 plays, 80 yards, touchdown (14-yard TD from Manning to Bennett)
- 2nd Drive: 9 plays, 51 yards, 47-yard field goal
- 3rd Drive: 9 plays, 72 yards, touchdown (1-yard TD run by Brown)
- 4th Drive: 11 plays, 57 yards, 49-yard field goal
- 5th Drive: 4 plays, 17 yards, punt
- 6th Drive: 4 plays, 7 yards, 30-yard field goal
- 7th Drive: 10 plays, 63 yards, 36-yard field goal
- 8th Drive: 8 plays, 48 yards, touchdown (1-yard TD run by Brown)
- 9th Drive: 3 plays, -3 yards, punt
- 10th Drive: 7 plays, 10 yards, 27-yard field goal
The Giants gained 405 total net yards (125 rushing, 280 passing) and 24 first downs. The offense did not turn the football over. QB Eli Manning finished the game 27-of-35 for 288 yards, 1 touchdown, and 0 interceptions. WR Ramses Barden caught 9 passes for 138 yards. TE Martellus Bennett caught 6 passes for 73 yards and a touchdown. HB Andre Brown rushed for 113 yards and 2 touchdowns on 20 carries.
Defensively, the Giants held the Panthers to one harmless scoring drive, a 13-play, 80-yard affair in the third quarter. The defense held the Panthers to 60 yards rushing on 20 carries and intercepted QB Cam Newton three times – CB Jayron Hosley, S Stevie Brown, and LB Michael Boley with the picks. The Giants also sacked Newton twice – DE Osi Umenyiora with one sack and DE Jason Pierre-Paul shared a sack with Boley.
Not to be outdone, the special teams recovered two fumbles, one being a key forced fumble and recovery by LB Spencer Paysinger to start the third quarter. PK Lawerence Tynes was a perfect 5-of-5 on field goal attempts including two from long range.
Highlights of the game are available at NFL.com.
Injury Report: S Antrel Rolle left the game when he banged his knee into camera equipment on the sideline. X-rays after the game were negative and Head Coach Tom Coughlin said he did not think his injury was serious.
CB Corey Webster broke a bone in his right hand but continued to play with a cast.
CB Jayron Hosley and LB Keith Rivers injured their hamstrings and did not return.
Post-Game Notes: Inactive for the Giants were HB Ahmad Bradshaw (neck), WR Hakeem Nicks (foot), WR Domenik Hixon (concussion), OT David Diehl (knee), CB Michael Coe (hamstring), DE Adewale Ojomo (hamstring), and TE Adrien Robinson.