GIANTS SIGN LB KEENAN ROBINSON…
Multiple media sources are reporting that the New York Giants have signed unrestricted free agent middle linebacker Keenan Robinson (Washington Redskins). The contract is reportedly a 1-year deal worth up to $3.5 million.
The 26-year old Robinson was originally drafted in the 4th round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. He has been an injury-plagued player who has missed time in 2012 (four games with right pectoral tear), 2013 (entire season with left pectoral tear), 2014 (three games with a knee injury), and 2015 (four games with shoulder and injuries). Robinson’s best season was in 2014 when he started all 13 games he played in and finished the year with 109 tackles, 1.5 sacks, and one interception. He played in 12 games with eight starts in 2015 and finished with 63 tackles and one interception.
Robinson has a nice combination of overall athleticism and size. Versatile, he can play inside and outside linebacker. Robinson is an instinctive, productive player who plays with a reckless style. He is more of a run-and-hit linebacker than stout run defender at the point-of-attack. He needs to improve his overall tackling consistency. Robinson is solid in pass coverage.
YouTube video highlights of Robinson:
MARCH 10, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS FREE AGENT NEWS AND RUMORS…
The official NFL free agency signing period began on Wednesday. Here is the latest news and rumors regarding the New York Giants:
- New York Giants unrestricted free agents defensive end Robert Ayers and cornerback Prince Amukamara are visiting the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- The New York Giants had reportedly expressed interest in unrestricted free agent cornerback Sean Smith (Kansas City Chiefs), but he has signed with the Oakland Raiders.
GARY JETER PASSES AWAY…
Gary Jeter, who played defensive end for the New York Giants from 1977 to 1982, has passed away at the age of 61. Jeter was originally drafted in the 1st round of the 1977 draft by the Giants. He finished his playing career with the Los Angeles Rams (1983-1988) and New England Patriots (1989).
- More to do, but the Giants’ defense at least has a foundation by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- With some more money to spend, Giants might take aim at these guys on Day 2 of free agency by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News
- Giant Surprise: How Vernon’s $85 Million Deal Went Down by Peter King of SI.com
- Why the Olivier Vernon mega-deal had to happen for Giants by Jordan Raanan and James Kratch for NJ.com
- Does signing DT Damon Harrison make sense for Giants? by Jordan Raanan and James Kratch for NJ.com
- Did the Giants pay too much for CB Janoris Jenkins? by Jordan Raanan and James Kratch for NJ.com
- Giants take first big steps toward restoring defensive glory by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- Victor Cruz bought himself one more year with the Giants by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- Victor Cruz’s poor jokes can’t hide Giants return relief by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
Giants spent $105.5M in guaranteed money on Vernon, Harrison, Jenkins. Team spent combined $85.1M guaranteed on free agents past 5 seasons.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 10, 2016
Here are the 2016 figures for the Victor Cruz restructure with the #Giants:
$5.5M base/roster bonus
$3M base guaranteed
— Rand Getlin (@Rand_Getlin) March 10, 2016