[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
JUNE 12, 2018 NEW YORK GIANTS MINI-CAMP REPORT…
The first day of the New York Giants 3-day mandatory mini-camp was held on Tuesday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. All 90 players on the current roster were present.
“All right, so first day of mandatory mini camp,” said Head Coach Pat Shurmur. “I told the players this and really it’s the case, it’s really OTA 11 in my mind because anytime they come on the field with their helmets on, it’s about the ball, it’s about the ground and it’s about getting yourself better. They handled today just like they have the other OTAs, so good work, was very competitive. You saw at the end there – everyday we do a situation and today was the two-point play and the defense did a good job with those two-point plays today.”
The mini-camp will continue with practices on Wednesday and Thursday.
Wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. (recovering from ankle surgery) has been cleared to practice. On Tuesday, he participated in individual and walk-thru drills, but not team drills. He also fielded punts after practice.
“He ran maybe three or four routes, but he looks good coming out of his breaks,” quarterback Eli Manning said. “From what I have seen, he looks sharp and ready to go.”
Safety Landon Collins (recovering from offseason arm surgery) wore a non-contact jersey and did not participate in full-team drills.
Defensive linemen Josh Mauro (unknown) and R.J. McIntosh (unknown) and linebacker Avery Moss (unknown) did not practice.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- The first-team offensive line was left tackle Nate Solder, left guard Will Hernandez, center Jon Halapio, right guard Patrick Omameh, and right tackle Ereck Flowers.
- The second-team offensive line was left tackle Nick Becton, left guard John Greco, center Brett Jones, right guard John Jerry, and right tackle Chad Wheeler.
- The starting safeties were Andrew Adams and Curtis Riley.
- Quarterback Eli Manning hit wide receiver Cody Latimer for a redzone touchdown against cornerback Janoris Jenkins and safety Curtis Riley.
- Fullback Shane Smith made a nice catch in the flat, tipping the ball to himself and then heading up-field.
- Quarterback Davis Webb overthrew wide receiver Roger Lewis, Jr. but then came back with a nice throws to wide receivers Travis Rudolph and Kalif Raymond.
- Wide receiver Marquis Bundy made a nice play on an underthrown pass by quarterback Kyle Lauletta.
- Place kicker Aldrick Rosas went 8-for-8 on field goal attempts, many of them from long distance.
- Running back Saquon Barkley toasted linebacker B.J. Goodson on a wheel route and quarterback Eli Manning hit him downfield for the touchdown.
- Wide receiver Sterling Shepard beat cornerback Eli Apple along the sideline and made a nice catch on a pass from quarterback Eli Manning.
- Cornerback Eli Apple, cornerback Donte Deayon, linebacker Mark Herzlich, and defensive lineman D.J. Hill all broke up passes. Late in practice, safety Curtis Riley, safety Orion Stewart, and linebacker Thurston Armbrister broke up 2-point conversion attempts.
- Defensive back Curtis Riley made a nice break-up of a sideline pass intended for wide receiver Hunter Sharp.
- Wide receiver Amba Etta-Tawo made a number of nice plays, including beating cornerback Eli Apple.
- Notes and observations from minicamp practice (6/12) by John Schmeelk of Giants.com
- Who stood out at Giants minicamp? (6/12) by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
Eli hits Odell in stride … #Giants pic.twitter.com/i7TVQYYKYe
— Matt Lombardo (@MattLombardoNFL) June 12, 2018
B.J. HILL SIGNED…
The New York Giants have signed defensive lineman B.J. Hill, one of their two 3rd-round picks in the 2018 NFL Draft, to a 4-year contract. The only two remaining unsigned draft picks are running back Saquon Barkley (1st round) and defensive lineman R.J. McIntosh (5th round).
The New York Giants have signed free agents tight end Scott Simonson, offensive tackle Jarron Jones, and cornerback Kenneth Durden. The team also waived offensive tackle Tyler Howell and waived/injured cornerback Aaron Davis (hamstring) both rookie free agents who were signed after the 2018 NFL Draft.
The 26-year old, 6’5”, 255-pound Simonson was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Oakland Raiders after the 2014 NFL Draft. The Raiders waived him in June 2015 and he was then signed by the Carolina Panthers. He spent all of 2017 on Injured Reserve with a back injury. Simonson has played in 18 regular-season games with one start. He has one catch in his NFL career.
The 24-year old, 6’6”, 320-pound Jones was originally signed by the Giants as an undrafted rookie free agent after the 2017 NFL Draft. A collegiate defensive tackle, the Giants moved him to offensive tackle, but cut him in early September 2017. Jones then spent time on the Practice Squads of the Seattle Seahawks and Dallas Cowboys in 2017. The Cowboys waived him in May 2018.
The 26-year old, 6’1”, 180-pound Durden was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Oakland Raiders after the 2016 NFL Draft. He spent his rookie season on the Raiders’ Practice Squad before being cut in September 2017. The Tennessee Titans then signed him to their Practice Squad and cut him in October 2017. Durden has not played in a regular-season game.
GIANTS AND LIONS TO HOLD JOINT PRACTICES IN AUGUST…
The New York Giants and Detroit Lions will hold joint training camp practices at Detroit’s headquarters and training facility in Allen Park, Michigan on August 14-16. The two teams play a preseason game on Friday, August 17 at Ford Field.
HEAD COACH PAT SHURMUR…
The transcript of Pat Shurmur’s press conference on Tuesday is available in The Corner Forum while the video is available at Giants.com.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- 3 under-the-radar Giants contributors who have emerged this offseason by Pat Leonard of The Daily News
- Eli Manning believes he has ‘peak years’ remaining in his NY Giants career by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Eli Manning’s advice for Odell Beckham amid contract ‘hassle’ by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Davis Webb knows he’s ready — and that it doesn’t matter yet by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Saquon Barkley is ‘the total package’ | Former Giants’ star RBs sound off on No. 2 pick by Matt Lombardo for NJ.com
- Saquon Barkley will have chance to learn from ex-Giants RBs by Jordan Raanan of ESPN.com
- Wayne Gallman adjusts to big changes in RB room by Dan Salomone of Giants.com
- One Giant has chance to be No. 3 receiver after flopping in Denver by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Giants gather for fourth annual Town Hall event by Matt Cohen of Giants.com
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.