ELI MANNING DEAL FINALIZED…
Although not officially announced yet, the New York Giants and quarterback Eli Manning have reportedly finalized a 4-year, $84 million contract extension that includes $65 million in guaranteed money and a $31 million signing bonus. Counting the final year of his current 6-year, $97.5 million contract that was signed in August 2009, the new total 5-year package is worth $101.5 million. The Daily News is reporting that $68.5 million will be paid over the next three years. The deal will also include a no-trade clause.
Manning’s $21 million average in new money on the four-year extension would rank him fourth among quarterbacks in the NFL, behind Aaron Rodgers ($22 million), Russell Wilson ($21.9 million), and Ben Roethlisberger ($21.85 million). The $65 million in guaranteed money will match the NFL record the Chargers recently guaranteed quarterback Philip Rivers.
INJURY REPORT – VICTOR CRUZ AND JON BEASON OUT…
The Giants have officially ruled WR Victor Cruz (calf), LT Will Beatty (pectoral – on PUP), and LB Jon Beason (knee) out of Sunday night’s game against the Dallas Cowboys.
Beason originally injured his knee in a preseason game on August 22. He returned to practice on a limited basis on Wednesday but experienced a setback and sat out practice on Thursday.
“(Beason) just didn’t get any better,” said Head Coach Tom Coughlin. “Didn’t get to the point where he felt he could play, and play the way he would like to. And the medical people agreed.”
Cruz has not practiced since August 17, did not play in a preseason game, and has not started to run again yet. “He’s getting better, he’s getting better,” said Coughlin. “He’s improved, no doubt…As soon as he’s ready to go, he’ll be on the field and practicing. Until that time, we’re all trying to figure out when exactly he’ll be ready.”
DE/DT Cullen Jenkins (hamstring), DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa (foot), and LB Jonathan Casillas (neck) are “probable” for the game.
HEAD COACH TOM COUGHLIN…
Transcripts and video of the media sessions with Tom Coughlin are available at BigBlueInteractive.com and Giants.com:
The video of this week’s Giants Online is available at Giants.com.
- Giants make changes to training routine, but will the injury results be any different? by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Why the Giants’ only choice was to pay Eli Manning by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Eli Manning’s reported $84 million extension is money well spent by Giants by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News
- What Markus Kuhn has done to earn the trust of the Giants this summer by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Giants’ Uani ‘Unga set for 1st career start Sunday vs. Dallas Cowboys by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Secondary preps for tough challenge in WR Dez Bryant by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Giants’ Landon Collins ready for a big test by Chris Iseman of The Bergen Record
- Ex-Giants punter Steve Weatherford leaves with one Super win, many super memories by Nick Klopsis of Newsday
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
Before the Giants travel to Dallas on Saturday, they will hold brief full-speed practice drills at their training facility in New Jersey. The Giants play the Cowboys on Sunday night.