[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
Not practicing on Wednesday due to injuries were WR Victor Cruz (calf), TE Daniel Fells (foot), LT Will Beatty (pectoral – on PUP), DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa (foot), DT Markus Kuhn (knee), and LB Jon Beason (knee).
LT Ereck Flowers (ankle) and LB Uani’ Unga (knee) practiced on a limited basis.
ELI MANNING CONTRACT DETAILS…
The New York Daily News provided the following summary on quarterback Eli Manning’s contract extension.
- Total contract (last year plus 4-year extension): 5 years, $101.5 million
- Signing Bonus: $31 million
- Guaranteed Money: $65 million
- 2015: $5.5 million salary, $500,000 workout bonus, total cap number $14.45 million
- 2016: $17.5 million salary, $500,000 workout bonus, total cap number $24.2 million
- 2017: $13 million salary, $500,000 workout bonus, total cap number $19.7 million
- 2018: $10.5 million salary, $5 million roster bonus, $500,000 workout bonus, total cap number $22.2 million
- 2019: $11.5 million salary, $5 million roster bonus, $500,000 workout bonus, total cap number $23.2 million
The new contract provides the Giants with $5.25 million in cap savings against the 2015 salary cap. Right now, including DE Jason Pierre-Paul’s Franchise tender, the Giants are $14,127,537 under the cap. They will gain an additional $871,352 for each week Pierre-Paul does not play. Any unspent money can be rolled over to next year’s cap.
According to NFLPA, the New York Giants are currently $14,127,537 under the 2015 salary cap.
— Big Blue Interactive (@BigBlueInteract) September 16, 2015
PRACTICE SQUAD MOVES…
The New York Giants have signed guard Vinston Painter, linebacker James Morris, and cornerback Tramain Jacobs to the Practice Squad.
Painter was originally drafted in the 6th round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos. He spent the 2013 regular season on Denver’s Practice Squad and was added to the Practice Squad again in 2014. The Cleveland Browns signed Painter to their active roster in September 2014, but he was only active for three games. The Brown waived him in September 2015. Painter converted to offensive line from defensive tackle and only started one season in college. He has a nice combination of size and athletic ability, but he is still learning the game. Right now, he looks better than he plays.
Morris was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the New England Patriots after the 2014 NFL Draft. The Patriots placed him on Injured Reserve in August 2014 after tearing an ACL in the final preseason game against the Giants. Morris lacks ideal size and overall athleticism, but he is instinctive, tough, hard working, and competitive.
Jacobs was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Baltimore Ravens after the 2014 NFL Draft. He played in three games as rookie after spending nine weeks on Baltimore’s Practice Squad. Jacobs finished the season on Injured Reserve with a thigh injury. The Ravens waived him in August 2015. Jacobs is an average-sized corner with good speed and quickness. He is also instinctive and competitive.
The team has also terminated the Practice Squad contracts of quarterback G.J. Kinne, linebacker Gerald Rivers, and safety C.J. Conway.
HEAD COACH TOM COUGHLIN…
The transcript of Tom Coughlin’s press conference on Wednesday is available in The Corner Forum while the video is available at Giants.com.
WATCH: Coach Tom Coughlin talks preparations for Falcons and previews Sunday's matchup http://t.co/jxTQxyIPk8
— New York Giants (@Giants) September 16, 2015
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
The following transcripts and video of player media sessions on Wednesday are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- QB Eli Manning (Video)
- WR Odell Beckham (Video)
- TE Larry Donnell (Video)
- OG Justin Pugh (Video)
- LB Devon Kennard (Video)
- S Brandon Meriweather (Video)
- Giants can’t let Week 1 mistakes define entire 2015 NFL season by Tom Rock of Newsday
- New York Giants making headlines for all the wrong reasons by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- Eli Manning and Giants made wrong call, but Rashad Jennings shouldn’t have sold out his teammate by Gary Myers of The New York Daily News
- Rashad Jennings: I’m sorry for throwing you under the bus Eli by Rashad Jennings for The New York Post
- Eli Manning scores points with Giants teammate Prince Amukamara for using Tom Coughlin approach in taking all the blame by Ebenezer Samuel of The New York Daily News
- Odell Beckham Jr. backs beleaguered Eli Manning by ESPN.com
- Giants’ top 10 worst plays: From The Fumble to latest fiasco against Cowboys by Hank Gola of The New York Daily News
GIANTS-COWBOYS: SIGHTS AND SOUNDS…
A sights and sounds video from the Giants’ 27-26 loss to the Dallas Cowboys is now available at Giants.com.
QB Eli Manning started his 168th consecutive regular-season game in Dallas. DT Johnathan Hankins has the team’s second-longest starting streak at 17 games.
Manning’s 193 passing yards in Dallas increased his career total to 39,948. He needs 52 yards against Atlanta on Sunday to become the 15th quarterback in NFL history with at least 40,000 passing yards.
Manning threw neither a touchdown pass nor an interception vs. the Cowboys. That’s just the eighth time that’s happened in his 168 starts. The Giants are 4-4 in those games. It was the 29th time he didn’t throw a touchdown pass. The Giants are 9-20 when Manning does not throw for a score.
When Sam Bradford lined up under center for Philadelphia last night, he became the 29th different quarterback to start for the other three NFC East teams since Manning’s starting debut on Nov. 21, 2004. The Eagles lead the pack with 11 quarterbacks, followed by Washington (10) and Dallas (9). Donovan McNabb started for both Philadelphia and Washington. He counts in each team’s total, but just once in the division total.
Left tackle Ereck Flowers and safety Landon Collins, the Giants’ first two selections in this year’s NFL Draft, each started in Dallas. It was the first time the Giants’ first and second-round draft choices started the season opener as rookies since Aug. 31, 1997, when wide receiver Ike Hilliard (first round) and running back Tiki Barber (second) started in a victory over Philadelphia.
The Cowboys scored the game-winning points on an 11-yard pass from Tony Romo to Jason Witten with seven seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it is the first time a Giants opponent scored a go-ahead, game-winning touchdown with seven or fewer seconds remaining in the Super Bowl era (now in its 50th season).
The Giants had not lost a game with a turnover differential of plus-3 or better since Nov. 29, 1987 at Washington, where four takeaways and just one turnover couldn’t prevent a 23-19 defeat.
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The Giants practice on Thursday and hold physical recovery cycles on Friday in advance of Sunday’s home opener against the Atlanta Falcons.