Turnovers, Shoddy Defense Lead to Insurmountable Deficit as Seahawks Clobber Giants 42-30: The Giants made it somewhat interesting in the fourth quarter with 27 unanswered points, but this weekend New York could not overcome three quarters of inept football as the Seahawks trashed the Giants 42-30. The Seahawks led 35-0 at one point in the first half and 42-3 by the end of the third quarter. The 32-point halftime deficit was the largest in the 82-year history of the Giants. The Giants turned the football over four times in the first half and the defense allowed six touchdowns.

The Giants are now 1-2 and one game out of first place in the NFC East behind the Philadelphia Eagles.

“We got outplayed, and out-coached. Write that down,” said TE Jeremy Shockey after the game.

“Our pass coverage was practically nonexistent,” said Head Coach Tom Coughlin. “Turn the ball over like that and not be able to stop them, not to get anything done until the second half. Makes no sense to me…We just handed it to them.”

“Right now,” MLB Antonio Pierce said, “we’re a horrible team.”

Seahawks’ quarterback Matt Hasselbeck threw five touchdown passes. But the game started off well for the Giants as Hasselbeck’s first pass of the game was intercepted in spectacular fashion by CB Corey Webster, who otherwise had a disappointing day. However, QB Eli Manning made a poor decision by forcing a ball to a well-covered WR Plaxico Burress. The pass was intercepted and returned 37 yards to the Giants’ 15-yard line. HB Shaun Alexander, who was held to 47 yards on 20 carries, scored from two yards out as the Seahawks took a quick 7-0 lead.

Things quickly got worse. Two false starts on the offensive line and an 11-yard sack ended the next Giants’ possession. The Seahawks then put together an 8-play, 47-yard drive that gave them a 14-0 advantage midway through the first quarter. New York’s third possession ended in disaster too as Manning’s deep sideline pass intended for WR Amani Toomer was intercepted by the safety and returned 26 yards to the Giants’ 27-yard line. Four plays later it was 21-0 and the first quarter wasn’t even over yet.

The Giants’ defense settled down somewhat on the next two Seattle possessions, but the next two Giants’ drives were sabotaged by penalties – yet another false start on the offensive line and an offensive pass interference penalty on Burress. Later in the second quarter, a well-thrown pass to Burress was knocked into the air by the receiver and intercepted by the Seahawks. Twelve plays and 63 yards later, the Seahawks went up 28-0.

The poor play by Burress continued as he fumbled away the ball after a 23-yard reception. It was the second fumble for Burress in two games. Burress was then benched for the rest of the game by Head Coach Tom Coughlin. Seattle then drove the field quickly, marching 64 yards in seven plays to take a 35-0 lead late in the second quarter.

The only redeeming moment in the first half was PK Jay Feely’s 46-yard field goal to end the half.

The Giants went three-and-out on their opening possession of the second half. Seattle put together a perfect drive for them by taking nearly 10 minutes off the clock and methodically moving 70 yards in 17 plays for a 42-3 advantage late in the third quarter.

The Giants made the final score more respectable by driving 79 yards in 10 plays with Manning hitting Toomer in the back of the endzone for the score. On Seattle’s ensuing possession, Hasselbeck’s was hit as his threw and his errant pass was intercepted by DT Fred Robbins, who made a heck of an athletic play to come up with the ball. On the very next snap, Manning hit a wide open WR Tim Carter for the 25-yard score. Hasselbeck’s very next pass was then intercepted by CB R.W. McQuarters and returned 27 yards for a touchdown. In just over four minutes, the Giants had scored 21 points and had cut the score to 42-24. The problem was there were less than 10 minutes left in the game.

Seattle was able to pick up a key first down with a 3rd-and-8 draw play to the fullback to take more valuable time off the clock. The defense forced a punt. Manning then led the Giants down the field in nine plays and 94 yards to cut the score to 42-30 with less than three minutes to go. The two-point attempt failed and the onsides kick was recovered by the Seahawks.

Seattle ran three plays on offense and by the time the Giants got the ball back, there were less than 22 seconds left in the game. After two completed passes, the game was over.

Manning finished the game 24-of-36 for 275 yards, three touchdowns, and three interceptions. HB Tiki Barber was held to 64 yards on 14 carries. The leading receiver for the Giants was actually David Tyree with five catches for 72 yards and a touchdown. Burress caught only one pass for 23 yards. He fumbled the ball away once and caused an interception on another play.

The Giants’ defense did a nice job against the Seattle ground game, but Hasselbeck was not sacked once. And he completed 24-of-33 passes for 227 yards and five touchdowns and three interceptions.

Post-Game Notes: LB Carlos Emmons left with a pectoral strain and didn’t return.

Inactive for the game were QB Tim Hasselbeck (third quarterback), HB Derrick Ward (foot), WR Sinorice Moss (quad), OT Na’Shan Goddard, OT Guy Whimper, DT Jonas Seawright, LB Brandon Short, and S James Butler (knee).