Latest Rumors on Defensive Coordinator Search: The newspaper/internet rumors on the Giants’ search for a new defensive coordinator are flying fast and furious. It is completely unknown whether or not there are any validity to these reports:
- Perry Fewell: The Giants met with Fewell last week and he met with the Bears on Monday. There are reports that Fewell has already agreed to join the Bears and other reports that he has not made up his mind yet. Fewell was the defensive coordinator (2006-09) and interim head coach (2009) of the Bills. Fewell is still the only candidate known to have interviewed with the Giants. He apparently left Chicago without a contract and wants to consider his options though The Daily News is reporting that Fewell has not received an offer from either team.
- Romeo Crennel: Crennel returned from vacation on Monday and there are reports that he has already agreed to become the new defensive coordinator of the Chiefs. However, Crennel’s agent says his client is still speaking with other teams. The Star-Ledger reports that Crennel was scheduled to talk to Tom Coughlin by phone yesterday or today. Crennel was the head coach of the Browns (2005-08) and defensive coordinator of the Patriots (2001-04).
- Jim Haslett: ESPN is reporting that the Giants have contacted Haslett about their defensive coordinator vacancy but that Haslett appears to be “long shot” candidate. Haslett currently is the head coach of the UFL’s Florida Tuskers. His other more recent jobs include head coach of the St. Louis Rams (2006-08) and New Orleans Saints (2000-05).
- Dick Jauron: The Daily News is reporting that contrary to expectations, the Giants have not reached out to Jauron yet. Jauron’s last gig was head coach of the Buffalo Bills (2006-09) and defensive coordinator and later interim head coach of the Detroit Lions (2004-05).
- Mike Zimmer: The Bergen Record is reporting that the Giants have inquired about Zimmer, the current defensive coordinator of the Bengals. Zimmer’s contract has now expired, but it is believed that Zimmer will re-sign with the Bengals or sign with the Washington Redskins.
New DVD – Ten Greatest Games in Giants’ History: Warner Home Video has released “New York Giants – 10 Greatest Games.” You can order this collection in the BBI Store (Amazon.com).