No Surgery for Jon Beason: The New York Giants announced on Tuesday that middle linebacker Jon Beason will not have surgery to repair the ligament tear and small fracture to the sesamoid bone in his right foot. Instead, Beason’s foot will be immobilized for six weeks (three weeks in a cast and three in a walking boot) as the first step in his rehabilitation.
Beason was examined by a foot and ankle specialist in North Carolina on Monday.
“My visit with (the specialist) went as well as it could have yesterday,” said Beason. “I’m happy that it was determined that I will be able to recover without surgery. My plan is to work as hard as I can during my rehab so I can be fully recovered around the start of the regular season opener on Monday night in Detroit.”
“I am (optimistic),” said Head Coach Tom Coughlin. “Any time that the decision is made with regard to no surgery, the idea that it will scar in itself, it’s good, it’s good news.”
Coughlin was asked if Beason would be ready for the start of the 2014 NFL season. “I have no way of knowing that. We would hope that, but we’ll see. He certainly will be weight-bearing for really a lot of time. And he’ll be in great shape, he’s one of those.”
New York Giants Mini-Camp – Day 1: The first day of the New York Giants mandatory, 3-day mini-camp is in the books. The team will also practice on Wednesday and Thursday before breaking until summer training camp on July 21.
For more on today’s practice, see:
- New York Giants Mini-Camp Practice – Day 1: Quick Hits and Tidbits by Connor Hughes of BigBlueInteractive.com
- Giants: Practice report from Day 1 of minicamp by Conor Orr of The Star-Ledger
Video highlights are also available from Giants.com.
June 17, 2014 New York Giants Injury Report: Not practicing on Tuesday were RB Peyton Hillis (undisclosed muscle injury), WR Mario Manningham (knee), RG Chris Snee (hip/elbow), LT Will Beatty (leg), OG John Jerry (knee), LB Jon Beason (foot), and CB Trumaine McBride (hip). WR Odell Beckham (hamstring) and RB David Wilson (neck) only participated in individual drills. DT Markus Kuhn and TE Daniel Fells were not feeling well and left practice early.
- McBride revealed on Tuesday that he had hip surgery in January. He said his rehab is going well and he expects to be cleared for practice at summer training camp.
- Coughlin on Snee: “His elbow is bothering him so we’re kind of taking it step by step on that. He had surgery on his elbow (in the offseason)…Well, I think it’s started to bother him. He did all of the separate days and pretty much all of the OTAs and then the elbow started to bother him so we kind of shut it down…The plan with him is to see if we can get the elbow right so that he feels comfortable and confident…We won’t be in a rush (to have him return to practice this week). He’s played enough, we can get him healthy and get him right back to where he was. We know what we have.”
- Coughlin on Beckham: “He did all of the individual and then we kind of backed him down a little bit. He was able to go, whether he could hit that top speed was another question. Why take a chance on it right now?”
- Will Beatty on whether he will be able to practice during training camp: “No doubt in my mind. I’m optimistic….I’m progressing. I’m not 100 percent today…The goal is to be fully ready when I get back out there, so I’m not going out there (in mini-camp) and making it worse. Trying to go out there too early could set you back, but going out there too late could also hurt the team. So it’s finding that perfect ground.”
June 17, 2014 New York Giants Player Media Q&As: Transcripts and video of Tuesday’s media Q&A sessions with the following players are available at Giants.com:
- QB Eli Manning (Video)
- WR Victor Cruz (Video)
- OG Chris Snee (Video)
- LT Will Beatty (Video)
- DE Mathias Kiwanuka (Video)
- LB Jameel McClain (Video)
- LB Devon Kennard (Video)
Article on Wide Receiver Trindon Holliday: Giants thrilled to have pint-sized Holliday on their side by Steve Serby of The New York Post
Articles on the New York Giants Offensive Line:
- Will Beatty gives update, ‘no doubt in mind’ he’ll be ready early in training camp by Jordan Raanan of NJ.com
- Geoff Schwartz eager to settle in with Giants by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
Article on DE Mathias Kiwanuka: Giants: Mathias Kiwanuka not happy with paycut, thinks more needs to be done to protect player rights by Conor Orr of The Star-Ledger
Articles on the New York Giants Linebackers:
- Linebackers regroup following Beason injury by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
- Jameel McClain ready to fill in while Giants’ ailing Beason heals by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Jameel McClain doesn’t lack for confidence as he auditions to be NY Giants’ middle linebacker with Jon Beason out by Mitch Abramson of The New York Daily News