MONTORI HUGHES PROMOTED TO 53-MAN ROSTER…
The New York Giants have signed defensive tackle Montori Hughes to the 53-man roster from the team’s Practice Squad. Hughes fills a vacancy created when the Giants put defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins on season-ending Injured Reserve on Tuesday with a torn pectoral muscle that will require surgery.
The Giants signed Hughes to the Practice Squad in September 2015. Hughes was originally drafted in the 5th round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts. In his two seasons with the Colts, he played in 16 games with one start. Hughes is a strong, mammoth (6’4”, 350lbs) nose tackle-type lineman who can hold his ground against the double team. He is a decent athlete for his size with some quickness to his game.
LOUIS NIX AND NICO JOHNSON ADDED TO PRACTICE SQUAD…
The New York Giants have signed defensive Louis Nix and linebacker Nico Johnson to the Practice Squad. Nix and Johnson fill the Practice Squad vacancies created when the team promoted cornerback Tramain Jacobs and and defensive tackle Montori Hughes to the 53-man roster. Jacobs was signed to the 53-man roster last Saturday.
Nix was signed by the Giants after he was waived by the Houston Texans in September 2015. The Giants waived Nix on Saturday to make room for cornerback Tramain Jacobs on the 53-man roster. Nix was originally drafted in the 3rd round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the Texans.
Johnson was originally drafted in the 4th round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs waived him in August 2014 and signed him to their Practice Squad. The Bengals signed Johnson to their 53-man roster in October 2014, but waived him in August 2015. The Redskins signed Johnson to their Practice Squad in September, but terminated his contract a month later. Johnson has played in 17 regular-season games with three starts, accruing 22 tackles. Johnson is a big linebacker (6’2”, 249lbs) who plays the run well, but isn’t as adept in pass coverage. He is a hard worker.
ELI MANNING ON WFAN…
The audio of Monday’s WFAN Radio interview with quarterback Eli Manning is available on CBS New York’s website.
RASHAD JENNINGS ON WFAN…
The audio of Tuesday’s WFAN Radio interview with running back Rashad Jenning’s is available on CBS New York’s website.
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Giants’ nine sacks is their lowest total through nine games since team sacks were first compiled in 1963.
The Giants have three rushing touchdowns this season, their lowest total through nine games since they had two in 1996.
The Giants lead the NFL with 21 takeaways, 13 interceptions (tied with two teams), and a plus-12 turnover differential.
- Jason Pierre-Paul plays more than expected, Shane Vereen tops RB chart | Giants snap counts by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Giants’ remaining schedule is a monster by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- More connects Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick than just those two epic Super Bowls by Dan Graziano and Mike Reiss of ESPN.com
- Tom Brady will expose Giants as frauds — or reveal them as threats by Mark Cannizzaro of The New York Post
- Giants’ Prince Amukamara gets positive report from doctors but still may not play vs. Patriots by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Uncertainty surrounds Giants offensive lineman Will Beatty and decision to put him on roster by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Linebacker Jasper Brinkley could prove a key signing as Giants make playoff push by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Super Bowl losses to Giants still haunt Patriots QB Tom Brady by Gary Myers of The New York Daily News
- State Your Case: Carl Banks by Rick Gosselin for Talk of Fame Network
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The players return to practice on Wednesday to start preparing for Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots.