JUNE 1, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS OTA PRACTICE REPORT…
The Giants held their fourth voluntary organized team activity (OTA) practice on Wednesday. No live contact is permitted during OTAs, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are allowed.
The six remaining OTA practices will be held June 2-3, June 6-7, and June 9-10. The Giants will hold a mandatory, full-team mini-camp on June 14-16.
DARIAN THOMPSON SIGNED…
The New York Giants have signed safety Darian Thompson, their 3rd round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. Linebacker B.J. Goodson – the team’s 4th round pick – remains the only unsigned draft pick.
INJURY REPORT AND ABSENTEES…
As previously reported, safety Cooper Taylor had surgery in May repair a sports hernia injury and will be out until training camp begins on July 28.
Continuing to work on the side were wide receiver Victor Cruz (calf) and running back Orleans Darkwa (leg). Defensive tackle Montori Hughes (unknown) did not practice.
“(Cruz is) progressing, but he’s still in a holding pattern,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo. “We’re looking forward to getting him back to training camp.”
“(Darkwa is) working through it,” said McAdoo. “He’s making progress. He’s not back yet, but hopefully we have a chance to see him at training camp.”
Wide receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. and defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul did not attend the voluntary practice on Wednesday.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- The first-team wide receivers were Geremy Davis and Myles White. Wide receiver Sterling Shepard also worked some with the first-team offense.
- The starting offensive line remains Ereck Flowers at left tackle, Justin Pugh at left guard, Weston Richburg at center, John Jerry at right guard, and Marshall Newhouse at right tackle.
- Adam Gettis was the center and Bobby Hart the right tackle with the second unit.
- Center Shane McDermott received first-team reps at right tackle, right guard, center, left guard, and left tackle during walk-through team drills.
- Tight end Matt LaCosse saw some first-team reps and made some plays.
- The first-team defensive ends were Owamagbe Odighizuwa (left) and Olivier Vernon (right).
- The starting linebackers were Jasper Brinkley (middle), Jonathan Casillas, and Devon Kennard.
- Cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins, Eli Apple, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie all worked with the first-team defense. Trevin Wade received reps as slot corner with the first team.
- Cornerback Donte Deayon made a couple of nice plays in team drills.
- Landon Collins, Darian Thompson, and Nat Berhe saw time with the first unit at safety.
- Linebacker B.J. Goodson made a juggling, diving interception.
Sterling Shepard makes plenty of plays | Giants OTA observations by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
— New York Giants (@Giants) June 1, 2016
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- LG Justin Pugh
- DE Olivier Vernon (Video)
- LB Keenan Robinson (Video)
- S Darian Thompson (Video)
- S Nat Berhe (Video)
NY POST Q&A WITH STERLING SHEPARD…
Meet Giants’ Sterling Shepard: Self scouting report, NY wonder, unflinching mom by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- Giants will go as far as Manning takes them by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Shane Vereen motivated following first losing season by Matt Cohen of Giants.com
- Giants Andre Williams hopes for a bounce-back season by Art Stapleton of The Bergen Record
- Giants RB Andre Williams isn’t ready to give up by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- Versatile Will Johnson could play dual role in Giants offense by John Schmeelk of Giants.com
- Sterling Shepard is the most likely Giants rookie to play a lot by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- Geremy Davis makes sizable impression on Giants by Tom Rock of Newsday
- WR Anthony Dable gives Giants a French accent by Barbara Barker of Newsday
- Justin Pugh vigorously defends right side of Giants offensive line by James Kratch for NJ.com
- O-line continuity — which every team craves — could bite Giants by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- OL Bobby Hart has opportunity for increased role by John Schmeelk of Giants.com
- Devon Kennard’s health is the key to Giants’ linebacker jumble by Dan Graziano of ESPN.com
- How new Giants LB Keenan Robinson prepared for the upcoming season by Jordan Raanan for NJ.com
- Giants’ secondary best of Jerry Reese era by Dan Schneier of TodaysPigskin.com
- Veterans are here now, and Giants rookie Darian Thompson still barks in the secondary by Tom Rock of Newsday