[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
JOSH BROWN SUSPENDED ONE GAME – WILL MISS OPENER…
New York Giants place kicker Josh Brown has been suspended for one regular-season game without pay for violating the NFL Personal Conduct Policy. Brown will miss the opener against the Dallas Cowboys. No specifics were given on the reason for the suspension.
“While I do not agree with the suspension, I will accept it,” said Brown. “I have exhausted the appeals process and have no other options along those lines. I will continue to work hard for this team, and I have tremendous confidence in my teammates and in my ability to move on and contribute to the team.”
“We have been supportive of Josh and will continue to be, but we accept the league’s decision,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo.
The Giants currently have two place kickers on the roster, the other being Tom Obarski. The Giants signed Obarski to a reserve/future contract in January 2016. Obarski was originally signed by the Cincinnati Bengals as an undrafted rookie free agent after the 2015 NFL Draft, but he did not make the team.
GIANTS SIGN JOE POWELL…
The New York Giants signed cornerback Joe Powell on Wednesday. Powell played for the semi-pro Portsmouth Mustangs in 2014, the Lehigh Valley Steelhawks of the Professional Indoor Football League (PIFL) in 2015, and the Cleveland Gladiators of the Arena Football League (AFL) in 2016. He earned PIFL “Defensive Rookie of the Year” honors in 2015 after breaking the league record with 11 interceptions, including two he returned for touchdowns. In the AFL, Powell intercepted seven passes in nine games, returning four of the picks for touchdowns.
NEW YORK GIANTS INJURY REPORT…
New York Giants linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring) remains on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform (PUP) List.
Wide receiver Victor Cruz (groin), wide receiver Geremy Davis (hamstring), tight end Will Johnson (burner), left guard Justin Pugh (bruised shoulder), defensive end Kerry Wynn (groin), cornerback Eli Apple (strained leg muscle), and Matt Smalley (dislocated shoulder) did not practice.
“(Cruz) had a bounce-back day today,” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo. “He’s out there running on the side and looked pretty good. Of course, you’d like to get him in team reps and individual, but we’ll progress that way…He was able to do a little bit more today than he has…We’ll see how he wakes up and how he got through today.”
“(Pugh) wasn’t out at practice today, so it’s serious if he’s not practicing,” said McAdoo. “I don’t know that the scan showed anything, but I’m not a doctor.”
Fullback Nikita Whitlock (burner) returned to practice.
AUGUST 17, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS PRACTICE REPORT…
Some snippets from various media sources:
- With Justin Pugh not practicing, Bobby Hart was the first-team left guard.
- Quarterback Eli Manning connected with wide receiver Odell Beckham on a deep pass, beating safety/cornerback Bennett Jackson. Manning also hit wide receiver Myles White deep. (VIDEO)
- Kelvin Sheppard was the middle linebacker with the first-team defense and also in there with the first-team nickel defense.
- Bennett Jackson, who was playing corner today, intercepted quarterback Logan Thomas in 7-on-7 drills. (VIDEO)
- Wide receiver Anthony Dable made a leaping catching on a crossing pattern over the middle.
BIG PLAY ALERT: Eli Manning finds @OBJ_3 down the sideline! #GiantsCamp https://t.co/Ahw3iPWaoe
— New York Giants (@Giants) August 17, 2016
HEAD COACH BEN MCADOO…
The transcript of Ben McAdoo’s press conference on Wednesday is available in The Corner Forum while the video is available at Giants.com.
THE PLAYERS SPEAK…
Transcripts and video clips of the media sessions with the following players are available in The Corner Forum and at Giants.com:
- Shane Vereen confident in Giants ability to run the ball despite last season’s mediocre campaign by Seth Walder of The New York Daily News
- 35,000 push-ups later, Giants’ Andre Williams seeing work pay off by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Giants’ Sterling Shepard confident he’ll play with Victor Cruz by Tom Rock of Newsday
- Victor Cruz doomsday would be devastating — but this isn’t it by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- How Giants envision unleashing special teams ace by curbing him by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Giants’ young receivers hope to flash in a game rather than just practice by Tom Rock of Newsday
- N.J.’s Ryan Malleck ‘earning some respect’ for Giants by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Richburg growing into the leader the Giants had hoped by John Fennelly of SNY
- Giants’ 2-headed Super Bowl formula is ready to destroy QBs by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- Giants’ discount journeyman rising in fight for Jon Beason heir by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Kelvin Sheppard in the middle of Giants’ linebacker competition by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie feels Super about Giants’ chances by Bob Glauber of Newsday
- Veteran CB Leon Hall slowly getting up to speed with Giants by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- George Young not selected as Contributor Finalist for Hall of Fame by Ralph Vacchiano and John Fennelly of SNY
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
The Giants practice on Thursday at 11:15 AM. There is no media availability on Friday as the team will be traveling to Buffalo for Saturday’s preseason game against the Bills.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.