REPORT – GIANTS INTERESTED IN RUSSELL OKUNG AGAIN…
The Washington Post is reporting that the New York Giants have expressed interest in unrestricted free agent Russell Okung (Denver Broncos), along with the New York Jets, Los Angeles Chargers, and Minnesota Vikings. The Giants also pursued Okung last year in free agency.
The 29-year old Okung was originally drafted in the 1st round (6th overall pick) of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks and signed by the Broncos as a free agent last year to a 5-year contract. Denver chose not to pick up his option after an inconsistent season.
In seven NFL seasons, Okung has started all 88 regular-season games that he played in. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2012. However, 2016 was the first year he played a full 16-game schedule, having missed 24 regular-season games due to injuries: high ankle sprains in both ankles in 2010, a torn right pectoral muscle in 2011, a toe injury that caused him to miss half of the 2013 season, a bruised lung in 2014, and ankle and calf injuries in 2015. Okung also needed left shoulder surgery to repair a dislocation suffered in the 2015 playoffs. Okung combines excellent size and overall athleticism. Although, he really has not played at an elite level since the 2012 season, Okung is still considered one of the more solid all-around tackles in the game as both a run and pass blocker.
- NFL Combine 2017: Giants meet with O.J. Howard, David Njoku; QBs? | Visit tracker by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Jets and Giants looking at QBs, and the future, at NFL Combine by Bob Glauber of Newsday
- Could son of an ex-major leaguer become Eli Manning’s backup? by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Two upper-tier tight ends are on the Giants’ draft radar by Paul Schwartz of The New York Post
- Giants eyeing tight end Jake Butt despite ACL risk by Pat Leonard of The Daily News
- Reviewing Combine results of Giants’ wide receiver draft picks under Jerry Reese by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- Reviewing Combine results of Giants’ tight end draft picks under Jerry Reese by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- Brandon Marshall on the Giants makes perfect sense by Bob Glauber of Newsday
- Marshall to Giants could be big win for both sides by Ralph Vacchiano of SNY