[contentblock id=1 img=html.png]
AUGUST 15, 2016 NEW YORK GIANTS TRAINING CAMP REPORT…
The New York Giants held their thirteenth and final summer training camp practice on Monday at Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Training camp is now officially over.
New York Giants linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring) remains on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform (PUP) List.
Fullback Nikita Whitlock (burner), wide receiver Victor Cruz (groin), wide receiver Geremy Davis (hamstring), tight end Will Johnson (burner), defensive end Kerry Wynn (groin), and cornerback Eli Apple (knee) did not practice.
“No (update on Cruz),” said Head Coach Ben McAdoo. “Just the status quo… we’re building him up to get to a position where we can make an evaluation. He had the hiccup, hoping to get him some work on Wednesday… Victor and I had a nice conversation yesterday afternoon. We talked about some different things that may be able to help moving forward, and I’ll let him share that. I’m not going to share that; I’ll keep our conversation private.”
“We’re still not giving up on Cruz,” said General Manager Jerry Reese on WFAN. “Hopefully, he’ll make it back.”
Wide receiver Sterling Shepard (groin) was limited. “No, there was no setback,” said McAdoo of Shepard.
Tight end Larry Donnell (dehydration), right guard John Jerry (illness), and cornerback Matt Smalley (shoulder) left practice early.
Some snippets from various media sources:
- The offense seemed out of sorts today and had a rough practice.
- Giants dime defense showed a look with Olivier Vernon and Jason Pierre-Paul switching sides with Johnathan Hankins and Romeo Okwara playing defensive tackle. Keenan Robinson was the lone linebacker. The outside corners were Janoris Jenkins and Donte Deayon with Leon Hall, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Darian Thompson, and Landon Collins (in the box) inside.
- Safety Landon Collins broke up two passes, one intended for tight end Matt LaCosse and the other for wide receiver Myles White.
- Quarterback Ryan Nassib hit wide receiver Anthony Dable for a big play against cornerback Trevin Wade. Dable also made a one-handed touchdown catch on a throw from quarterback Logan Thomas.
- Quarterback Logan Thomas hit wide receiver Kadron Boone deep against cornerback Matt Smalley. Thomas then found wide receiver Darius Powe, who made a nice catch, against Smalley.
- Taking probably too much time, quarterback Eli Manning eventually found tight end Matt LaCosse for a touchdown against safety Landon Collins.
- Emmett Cleary came in with the first unit at right guard when John Jerry (illness) left the field. Bobby Hart later got some work in at right guard as well.
- Quarterback Ryan Nassib connected with wide receiver K.J. Maye in the back corner of the end zone for a touchdown against cornerback Donte Deayon.
- Quarterback Logan Thomas threw a strike to tight end Jerell Adams for a touchdown against linebacker Brad Bars.
- With no healthy fullback available, tight end Ryan Malleck received a goal line carry, but he was unable to score.
- In the 2-minute drill, quarterback Eli Manning hit wide receiver Roger Lewis for a touchdown against cornerback Donte Deayon. Manning went 5-of-5 on this drive with Lewis having two catches.
- Linebacker Jonathan Casillas stopped running back Shane Vereen on a two-point conversion running attempt.
- Cornerback Michael Hunter intercepted quarterback Ryan Nassib to end another 2-minute drive on a pass intended for wide receiver K.J. Maye.
.@RashadJennings will not be denied in the green zone. TOUCHDOWN! #GiantsCamp ✅ pic.twitter.com/XcvqXOyeEF
— New York Giants (@Giants) August 15, 2016
HEAD COACH BEN MCADOO…
The transcript of Ben McAdoo’s press conference on Monday is available in The Corner Forum while the video is available at Giants.com.
- Could a mysterious sensei be the key to saving Andre Williams’ career with the Giants? by Dan Duggan for NJ.com
- Is Victor Cruz in danger of being cut by Giants? by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Giants’ emerging receivers put Victor Cruz on the clock by George Willis of The New York Post
- Can Stansly Maponga bring the necessary ‘fire’ to be extra Giants pass rusher? by James Kratch for NJ.com
- Defensive tackle Jay Bromley hopes to finally live up to Giant expectations by John Healy of The New York Daily News
- Collins-Thompson safety tandem has impressive first outing by Michael Eisen of Giants.com
WHAT’S UP NEXT…
Training camp is officially over. The Giants will be off Tuesday and return to practice on Wednesday.