Campus Insider: The New York Giants Select…
New York Giants 2014 NFL Schedule Announced: The NFL announced the 2014 regular-season schedule for the New York Giants and the other 31 NFL teams on Wednesday. The details are as follows:
|Sep 8||Mon||at Detroit||7:10 PM||ESPN|
|Sep 14||Sun||Arizona||1:00 PM||FOX|
|Sep 21||Sun||Houston||1:00 PM||CBS|
|Sep 25||Thu||at Washington||8:25 PM||NFLN|
|Oct 5||Sun||Atlanta||1:00 PM*||FOX|
|Oct 12||Sun||at Philadelphia||8:30 PM*||NBC|
|Oct 19||Sun||at Dallas||4:25 PM*||FOX|
|Nov 3||Mon||Indianapolis||8:30 PM*||ESPN|
|Nov 9||Sun||at Seattle||4:25 PM*||FOX|
|Nov 16||Sun||San Francisco||1:00 PM*||FOX|
|Nov 23||Sun||Dallas||8:30 PM*||NBC|
|Nov 30||Sun||at Jacksonville||1:00 PM*||FOX|
|Dec 7||Sun||at Tennessee||1:00 PM*||FOX|
|Dec 14||Sun||Washington||1:00 PM*||FOX|
|Dec 21||Sun||at St. Louis||4:05 PM*||FOX|
|Dec 28||Sun||Philadelphia||1:00 PM*||FOX|
* Times subject to change due to NFL flexible scheduling policy.
“It’s a difficult and challenging schedule, as we knew it would be,” said Head Coach Tom Coughlin. “We play a lot of very good teams. We’re playing some teams that we haven’t played for a while that feature some key, key ingredients, some teams that are building and growing and teams with new coaches, guys I have a lot of respect for.
“We do have any number of outstanding games in a row, because in addition to the NFC East, (we face) the NFC West and the AFC South. The NFC West is a very strong division and certainly continues to be strong. Seattle won the Super Bowl, San Francisco played in the NFC Championship Game, you look at the improvement in the Arizona team and the way they played, particularly toward the end of the year. And the way in which the St. Louis defensive team has played, their quarterback (Sam Bradford) being injured but coming back. That’s a very tough challenge and that’s to say nothing about the fact that we really haven’t been in that AFC South for a while. We played Atlanta a couple years ago. They’ve made drastic changes with their team. You saw Jacksonville improve. Houston has a new coach and with (Bill) O’Brien there and the first pick of the draft…so there are a lot of interesting factors that go into taking a look at this.
“We’re not opening in the division, which is kind of a rarity. We know how talented Detroit is…We’re on our fourth game before we do get a divisional game. I think that’s an interesting thing…The bye, again, is in a good spot for us.”
Some items of note from the schedule:
- The Giants will play five games against 2013 playoff teams: Philadelphia (twice), San Francisco, Indianapolis, and Seattle.
- The Giants will play four teams with new head coaches: Washington (Jay Gruden), Houston (Bill O’Brien), Tennessee (Ken Whisenhunt), and Detroit (Jim Caldwell).
- The Giants will play all three of their NFC East road games – at Washington, Philadelphia, and Dallas – in a four-week span from September 25 to October 19. The Giants’ final three home games are against NFC East foes Dallas, Washington, and Philadelphia.
- The preseason schedule has also been finalized. For details, see the Schedule section of the website.
Flex scheduling will commence earlier than it has in the past, with modifications. For the first time, flexible scheduling may be applied in Weeks 5-10. During that period, flexible scheduling can be used in no more than two weeks by shifting a Sunday afternoon game into primetime and moving the Sunday night game to an afternoon start time. Also, for the first time, a select number of games are being “cross-flexed,” moving between CBS and FOX to bring potentially under-distributed games to wider audiences.
“Flexible scheduling” will be used in Weeks 11-17 as it has been in recent years. In Weeks 11-16, the schedule lists the games tentatively set for Sunday Night Football on NBC. Only Sunday afternoon games are eligible to be moved to Sunday night, in which case the tentatively scheduled Sunday night game would be moved to an afternoon start time. Flexible scheduling will not be applied to games airing on Thursday, Saturday, or Monday nights. A flexible scheduling move would be announced at least 12 days before the game. For Week 17, the Sunday night game will be announced no later than six days prior to December 28. The schedule does not list a Sunday night game in Week 17, but an afternoon game with playoff implications will be moved to that time slot.
Articles on the New York Giants Passing Game:
- Eli Manning plans on using new offense to ‘reinvent’ himself by Steve Serby of The New York Post
- Victor Cruz on Giants’ new offense: It’ll be easier for Eli and me ‘to connect’ by Dave Hutchinson of The Star-Ledger
Article on New York Giants Defensive Backs:
- Prince Amukamara admits he would be insulted if Giants decline option by Jordan Raanan of NJ.com
- If 2014 is Antrel Rolle’s Giant finale, the safety is ready to ‘go out with a bang’ by Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News
BBI on Giants.com Big Blue Kickoff Live: The audio of Eric Kennedy being interviewed on Giants.com’s Big Blue Kickoff Live podcast on Wednesday is available at Giants.com. Eric joins the show at the 30-minute mark of the broadcast.